184 International lo boy tractor

  • 72rtchallenger
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2011
      I am trying to trade to a 184 but it doesn't have the proper hood an grill in the photo, what other things can I look for to tell the difference of a 184 compared t a 185/154
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2011
        A 184 has a regular fan belt driven alternator and a separate ring gear
        starter, while the 185 has a combination belt driven generator/starter.
        Some folks have modified the flywheel and starter on a 154/185 to
        replace the starter/generator with a ring gear starter and alternator,
        but that isn't common. It also requires cutting a notch in the frame to
        fit the starter.

        The clutch on the 184 is a standard flywheel-mounted clutch that you can
        see from underneath, while the 154/185 clutch is outboard.

        Those are the most important differences, besides the grills, decals,
        etc. I am sure there are some other differences, but I don't have a 154
        or 185, so I have to rely on others to point them out.

        Mike

        On 12/4/2011 5:03 PM, 72rtchallenger wrote:
        > I am trying to trade to a 184 but it doesn't have the proper hood an
        > grill in the photo, what other things can I look for to tell the
        > difference of a 184 compared t a 185/154

      • Tim Stone
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2011
          184 has an electric PTO the others have a manual clutch PTO e.g. lever activated..

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2011
            The picture just posted is a clear misrepresentation as a 184. I would stay away from this one.  If you want to know more, get the serial number. That will tell you what it is and what year. The serial number for the 184 is located on the side of the frame near the clutch pedal. The 154 is on top of the frame near the front. Not sure about the 185.

            The white sheet metal at the front has been fabricated. Leads to question what else is fabricated. Is it a copulation of parts assembled into one tractor? Why is it being represented as a 184?

            Kent

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2011
              Kent is right! The front end is definately not a 184. Nose is a 154 or 185. The side panel could be a 154 but definately not a 184. Why is that important.. Well the 184 had several improvements. Electric PTO, traditional style clutch, although the engine is a C60 it has the dish pistons and higher compression so more HP. The alternator and starter vs. generator/starter combo.

              I would probably pass on this one too... Or at the very least figure out if this was two or several tractors mashed into one. Granted the 154/185 for the most part share the vast majority of parts with the 184 but the ones that are different are for a reason...

              Tim S....

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2011
                Unsure why he is representing it this way,,still waiting on him to send me the serial number