Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] Sickle bar

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 8, 2011
      The 105 Balance Head Mower does not have a pitman stick. This allows the sickle bar to operate at all angles.

      Kent

      On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Thomas Mcdowell <thmcdowell1@...> wrote:

      So is the 105 a better sickle bar
      I'm just trimming a 200 foot ditch line that u can't get with a push mower

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 8, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Kent Morris <kmokgm@...> wrote:

      Thomas,

      Enough time and money, anything can be done. In a practical sense, no the 22 will not fit on a 154.
      I get in trouble when I say this, but the 222 mower on a 154 is a novelty like most of the implements for the 154. Two specific short comings of the 222 are: 1) the weight of the mower flexes the tractor frame when raising or transporting. 2) It only has about 3-4" of belly ground clearance. Unless you're on perfectly flat terrain, you will bottom out.
      I have a 222.

      There is also a Model 105 which is a balance head version.

      Kent

      On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Thomas <thmcdowell1@...> wrote:

      Will a no. 22 sickle bar work on a 154 or can it be modified to work
      Or should I stick with the no. 222 sickle bar

    • Thomas Mcdowell
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 8, 2011
        Thanks for the help
        Guess I'll b on the look out for one

        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • Tim Stone
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 9, 2011
          Kent, any idea of where I can find pics of the 105 Balance Head Mower? Did IH make that or was it someone else. If it will operate at a higher angle it solve a problem on mowing a steep hill that is part of a ditch.

          As always you are a great source of reliable information..

          Thanks
          Tim S...

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 10, 2011
              Looking at the brochure I don’t think it would work on a 154.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 10, 2011
                I don't know anything about the 105 mower, but I have a 100 mower, and
                it would be quite a stretch to see that much weight on a Cub size
                tractor. Maybe the 105 is smaller than the 100.

                Mike

                On 11/10/2011 11:39 AM, Kent Morris wrote:
                > I hope I'm not lying to you guys about the 105 mower on the 154. I'm
                > sure I have seen it somewhere, but all I can find at the time is mounted
                > on the offset Cub. I assume the frame flexing and low ground clearance
                > issues would be the same as the 222 mower.
                >
                > Kent

              • Mark Everett
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 10, 2011
                  I have a std Cub and a 105 for it and a 185 and I don't see how it could possibility fit without so much modification it would not be worth it. These fixed blade bar mowers worked ok for cutting hay and not to hot for anything else. The balanced head mower IH used to build is still availabe new, they sold it off to a small company. Google it. Likely its not available any more as a bolt on just 3 point and semi mounted IIRC.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 10, 2011
                      I'm beginning to believe I don't know what I'm talking about. Although I have the 105 mower on a 154 pictured in my mind, I can't find any evidence to support that idea. It's my belief that if one was mounted on a 154, it wouldn't be good match.
                      Truthfully, I consider the 222 as more of a novelty that practical. I have a 222 I had mounted on a 184. But, because of frame flexing and low ground clearance, I set it aside and never used it again.

                    Kent