stater won't turn

  • pheel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
      i got a 154 in trade stripped out the wiring rewired eliminating any fuses or safties just a basic wireing, when i turn the key the soleniod clicks that's all, i am wanting the strter to turn the belt is loose so there is so drag. the tractor will need to be pulled to loosen the motor but i want to know the wiring is correct for latter i also checked the key with a wire ssme thing
    • Art
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
        Check and make sure you have good ground connections all the way around!

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
          Anyone who strips out all of the fuses and safety switches in a piece of
          machinery isn't going to get a lot of help or support from those who
          feel that those fuses and safety switches are there for a very good reason.

          Mike

          On 7/29/2011 12:41 PM, pheel wrote:
          > i got a 154 in trade stripped out the wiring rewired eliminating any
          > fuses or safties just a basic wireing, when i turn the key the soleniod
          > clicks that's all, i am wanting the strter to turn the belt is loose so
          > there is so drag. the tractor will need to be pulled to loosen the motor
          > but i want to know the wiring is correct for latter i also checked the
          > key with a wire ssme thing

        • Elmo Favors
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
            why would anyone want to do something like that ? i can kind of see it maybe on wiring up a light or just temporarily checking something out " poorboy style "  but to just totally do away with it is flirting with a major problem . elmo    ( just one person's opinion for what little it may be worth . )

            Anyone who strips out all of the fuses and safety switches in a piece of
            machinery isn't going to get a lot of help or support from those who
            feel that those fuses and safety switches are there for a very good reason.

            Mike

            On 7/29/2011 12:41 PM, pheel wrote:
            > i got a 154 in trade stripped out the wiring rewired eliminating any
            > fuses or safties just a basic wireing, when i turn the key the soleniod
            > clicks that's all, i am wanting the strter to turn the belt is loose so
            > there is so drag. the tractor will need to be pulled to loosen the motor
            > but i want to know the wiring is correct for latter i also checked the
            > key with a wire ssme thing

          • Brad Stogsdill
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
              Hi-

              I would be sure starter connections are good- maybe just use jumper cables from a battery and se if you can make the starter spin when ou hit it with 12V. spin..

              On pulling your tractor to make the engine turn- I dont know if that would work very well- expect your tractor tires will just skid ruts into the ground or grind flat spots if you have concrete drive... I think they are too low geared to try to make the engine spin using the wheels to drive the engine.

              However, what I did do on my tractor which had sat about 5 years before I got it, and crank was frozen,  I pulled the plugs and squrted some stuff like WD 40 or air tool lube and then some motor oil in each cylinder and gave it some time to soak and then I used a breaker bar on the crankshaft nut and just kept applying gradual force to it in one direction then the other and it gradually freed up where it would move a few degrees and I workd it back and forth and after about 5 or 10 minutes I had it freed up so it would turn all the way over a complete turn. then I used the starter and spun it several times adding oil each time to the cylinders and it freed up real nicely.   Then put in plugs and it runs alright now.

              I suspect one or more top compression rings must have gotton rusty or a cylinder wall and had it frooze with surface rust. you just need a big niut and brekaer bar and do not hammer on the breaker bar or you will cause the nut to tighten or come loose. If I remember correctly, there was the smallest wee bit of free play when I started loosening mine which told me the crank was free and a piston ring(s) was sticking and the wee movement was all the slack in the grooves and bearings and I just worked it back and forth and the range of movement slowly expanded.

              Post us pics if you can!

              Regards
              Bradley

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
                Oh yeah, I didnt catch that you wired out your safeties....dont neglect your safety switches! -you may save the arm or foot  or hand of one of  your kids or grandkids if you keep safety switches in proper condition...  you may also want to re-install fuse so you dont burn down your tractor and your barn or garage with it if you have a wiring issue...

                I was almost ran over by my dear wife once when she started my old stickshift truck and didnt realize she had to have clutch in or in neutral...

                I did not need the safety switch for me to safely start it,  but i fixed it so if she ever started it again that nobody's life would be in peril...

                Regards
                Bradley

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
                  One question, are all the 154's 12 volt? I can't remember but thought some of the old ones were 6 volt.. If it really is a 12 volt generator starter simply take a battery, jumper cables, connect to the power lug with the positive, touch the case with the negative and it should turn..

                  I agree with everyone else stripping off all the fuses and safety switches is a disaster waiting to happen..

                  Tim S...