Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] Rear pulley question and mower belts

  • 67datroad
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
      Appreciate that Mike. The left hand from the rear is really forward of the right hand pulley. I still suspect the left hand pulley mount is some how bent. Thanks again.

      Steve
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
        I will get an image or two later this morning and post it on my Fotki album.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
          The images have been placed in my Fotki album. Start with
          <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_184/mower-pulleys-1.html>
          and the two images following. Any questions, feel free to ask, and I
          will do my best to provide useful answers.

          Remember that mine is the original LoBoy "60 inch mower", not the later
          3160/3260.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
            Steve,

            As I recall, when properly adjusted, there should be about 1/4" between the spring loaded left pulley arm and the mount frame. I have a 154 with a 3260 deck and I use a B158 belt. I believe this is a little shorter than the original belt. But, after 40 years of wear at the mounting pins and a few collisions (of course from previous owner) with immovable objects, the deck gets closer to the rear of the tractor, therefore a shorter belt works. Even after straightening all the mounting brackets, rebuilding some of the wear points and installing new pins, the B158 belt is the best fit on my mower. Before straightening, repairing and the shorter belt, the belt would rub the 3-point mount.

            www.binderbooks.com has high quality reprints of the 3260 mower deck. I believe having a manual would answer many of your questions. That way you would get the right information. As Mike made clear, although very similar, his deck is a 60" Mower, not a 3260. These tractors can have any one of about half a dozen different deck models.

            Kent

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
              Kent,

              Thanks for the reply. I did in fact order a book on the 3260 mower. I bought the belts from hamiltonbob. I am confident I will get it repaired soon. As I said it has been a great mower and does a great job. I have a little over 2 acres and enjoy mowing with it.

              Steve
            • 67datroad
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
                Mike,

                Thanks for doing that. My left pulley is definitely tweaked. Kent pointed out that your setup may be different from mine. I ordered a book on the 3260 mower. Plus Parts Tree shows the pulley setup. Mine definitely has issues.

                Steve
              • 67datroad
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
                  Mike,

                  Here is a shot of my rear pulleys. As you can see the one on the left does not even look close to being right but without having a picture of how it suppose to look I cannot be sure.

                  http://www.311s.org/PublicPics/DSC00494.JPG

                  Steve
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
                    Actually, that looks pretty much like mine. The pulley has to be on a
                    slight angle to match the width of the PTO pulley. But I would drop the
                    right side pulley down to about the middle of the slot. This will bring
                    the left side pulley up a little higher (and increase the tension on the
                    arm). I suggest you try that before you start investing money in
                    replacements or trying to bend things around.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
                      Damn - I meant "diameter" of the PTO pulley, not the width. Sorry about
                      that.

                      Mike

                      On 6/5/2011 6:05 PM, Mike Sloane wrote:
                      > Actually, that looks pretty much like mine. The pulley has to be on a
                      > slight angle to match the width of the PTO pulley.
                    • Dale Sargent
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
                      Attached are 4 pictures of the mower tensioner pulley system. This tensioner is from a 3160 mower. It happens to be on a 184 tractor with 3 point hitch - but, I think that IH used this tensioner for many of its mower/tractor combinations.

                      I hope that the pictures help you, NJDale
                      Message 11 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
                        Those images back up my assertion that the left pulley should be angled
                        sightly, as well as my suggestion to move the right side pulley down to
                        about the middle of the slot.

                        Mike

                        Message 12 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
                          Now, that looks a lot more like what mine should look like. Thanks for the pictures. I will take Mike's advice and wait until my new belts show up before I start taking things apart and trying to straighten things up. My left pulley was tweaked down even with the belt on it. Thanks to all who have replied-much appreciated.

                          Steve