governor??

  • BoyceR
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2011
      OK I'm almost home! I was only getting 1700rpm with no load. It was suggested the throttle arm bracket may be bent. It was! So, now I get 2200rpm.

      I have to hold the throttle in fast idle though. Because the short fat spring on the governor keeps shoving the throttle arm back to idle. It wasn't doing that before I fixed the bracket. I disconnected the cable at the governor, and throttle arm and cable moves freely. I removed the spring going from the radiator support to the carb, and this made no difference. Actually the throttle seemed to hunt a little. I reconnected it right away.

      So, how do I get the rpm's on up to spec, and what to do about the short fat spring on the governor?? I have made no adjustments to the governor, nor do I wish to without your counsel!

      Boyce
    • Tim Stone
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2011
        The throttle lever has a friction washer.. You can tighten it and the throttle will stay in place. Common problem as they wear and age.. It is on the throttle lever itself..

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2011
          yep, I saw it, and I did have it removed while working in that area. Will go and snug it up a little now. THANKS!

          Boyce Rampey
          Columbia, SC

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14, 2011
            Good Morning Boyce,

            Throttle lever tension-- Use two 7/16" open end wrenches thin enough to slide between the lever and the slot in the dash. Tighten the lever pivot bolt until you can still move the lever and it stays the position you place it in.

            Spring-- There is no radiator support to carburetor spring.

            Governor--  Check the governor to carburetor linkage with engine OFF. Disconnect the linkage. Move the throttle to full and place the carburetor to wide open. Adjust the linkage until the clevis pin easily slides in.

            At the governor, manually move the lever that the throttle cable connects to rearward as far as it will go. If you don't get 2510 RPM, adjust the 1/4" bolt sticking out of the top of the governor CCW until you get 2510 RPM. If you get 2510 RPM, then you need to get the throttle cable to pull the governor lever to it's limit. If you can't get 2510 RPM manually at the governor, then you could have a weak spring or wear in the spring holes or the governor internally.

            If you don't have a service manual, you can get a good quality reprint from www.binderbooks.com The adjustments and specifications are in the Service Manual. Another manual would be an IT manual I believe it's IH-50.

            Kent