Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] Battery

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
      Larry,
      Batteries are identified by BCI Group. The tractor specifies a 22NF battery. My information indicates Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) about 400-450. If you don't have an OEM battery cover a Group 51R will also work. There is a Group 51 and 51R. The difference is the location of the terminals.
      You refer to "cranking amps". Batteries are rated for "cold cranking amps" CCA and "cranking amps (CA). CCA is rated at 0 deg while CA is rated at 32 deg. Generally you want to use the CCA rating for tractors.

      Kent

      On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM, quakertrain <lpremley@...> wrote:

      I have a 1979 184 international. How many cranking amp battery is recommended for this tractor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Larry Remley

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
        When the battery on my 184 died, I just picked up a garden tractor
        battery at Wal-mart, and it spins the engine over very nicely. And it
        fits under the cover too.

        Mike

        On 2/21/2011 2:23 PM, quakertrain wrote:
        > I have a 1979 184 international. How many cranking amp battery is
        > recommended for this tractor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        > Larry Remley

      • Mark Everett
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
          A garden tractor sized battery is what I use too. But get a high capacsity one. The 20 dollar ones won't do. Its a tiny low compression engine, not hard to turn over, if the electrics are in good shape.

          Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...> wrote:

          >When the battery on my 184 died, I just picked up a garden tractor
          >battery at Wal-mart, and it spins the engine over very nicely. And it
          >fits under the cover too.
          >
          >Mike
          >
          >On 2/21/2011 2:23 PM, quakertrain wrote:
          >> I have a 1979 184 international. How many cranking amp battery is
          >> recommended for this tractor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          >> Larry Remley

        • Cassius Toon
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 23, 2011
            I took the battery from my 154 to Advance Auto and they had the exact replacement battery.