broke off lug nuts from tire chain spacer

  • mth9750
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2011
      I can't believe I snapped the lugs off the spacer while plowing snow today! So, I'm looking for a new spacer(s). I supposed I could get the broken bolts out of the spacer but I noticed one of the taps is cracked out. I guess my little tractor wasn't meant to push 20" of snow. But she sure did a good job of it!!!
    • Mark Everett
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2011
        Those spacers are hard to find and pricey. Better to take them to a machine shop and get them fixed.

        mth9750 <MAJOR@...> wrote:

        >I can't believe I snapped the lugs off the spacer while plowing snow today! So, I'm looking for a new spacer(s). I supposed I could get the broken bolts out of the spacer but I noticed one of the taps is cracked out. I guess my little tractor wasn't meant to push 20" of snow. But she sure did a good job of it!
      • Major
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2011

          Yeah, that’s a problem with a tractor that’s 40 years old.  Maybe I’ll get lucky but in the meantime I’ll look around for a machine shop.  Thanks.

          mth9750 <MAJOR@...> wrote:

          >I can't believe I snapped the lugs off the spacer while plowing snow today!
          So, I'm looking for a new spacer(s). I supposed I could get the broken bolts out of the spacer but I noticed one of the taps is cracked out. I guess my little tractor wasn't meant to push 20" of snow. But she sure did a good job of it!

        • Tim Stone
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
            Might have been a lot of things that caused them to snap. I plow snow all the time and don't have problems. BTW you can get spacers for a Jeep CJ5 I think that will fit also. Might be a little sturdier than the stock ones. Also I don't ever jack up my wheels with the weights on b/c of the strain it puts on the spindles. Also I use wheel weights so the weight is on the rim and not on the frame and everything else.

            Just some thoughts..

            Tim S...

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
              A common thing that breaks wheel studs/bolts is the shock loads if they are the least bit loose. Don't guess use a torque wrench. Re check often, replace any fastners the repeatly get loose as they are likely yealding and will fail soon.