How much dry gas can I use?

  • j-cottom
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2010
      I couldn't get my tractor started yesterday to plow for Snomageddon (4" drifted to 1 ft in places). I figured it might be frozen somewhere so I plugged in a shop heater and blew at it for about an hour and it started right up after that. Once I got plowed out I went and bought a fresh can of Stabil and added a full dose to the tank. This morning, it's doing just what it did yesterday, including dripping a few tablespoons of gas on the floor. How much dry gas can I add to the fuel in case it's wet? I bought it in the fall with a full tank that had been sitting there for about 2 months and I've only added about a half tank with stabilizer since then. Also, is there a spot in the fuel system where water might pool and be more prone to freeze up? Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.
    • Tim Stone
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2010
        Check the sediment bowl. It is glass so you can clean it off with a rag so you can see. Since it is the lowest point in the tank if you have water in the fuel then it will show up there. Also shine a light down in the tank. Water will be apparent when you rock the tractor a bit. If your leaking out the carb then you have a problem with the carb not shutting off the fuel flow with the float. Could be some ice in the carb, but I doubt it. If you have leaking fuel then most likely the float or the shut off needle is the problem. Could be worn out and the cold weather makes it more prominent. Also check the choke to see if it is moving. One last thing is that if you have some debris in the carb it will effect it. So warming might get it to start and run but you have remove the carb and clean it out to fix the problem.

        Stabil is good to use. But if the fuel is only 2 months it wouldn't have gone bad unless it was already old.

        Hope that helps..

        Tim S...

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 29, 2010
          It seems to be stuck in reverse. I feel the shift from 2nd to third (but it won't budge, it stalls the motor). I don't feel the tranny shift from reverse to 1st? I go backward fine, can't shift to 1st and the other gears freeze movement from going forward or back? My old cars would do that if the linkage jammed but I don't see anywhere that's similar on my Cub. Any suggestions would be very appreciated? Thanks, Neil emails to CTrider@... or Neil.Gilley@...
          .

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 29, 2010
            Just take the top off your transmission. The problem will probably be evident. Loose bolts on shifting forks or broken fork.

            Kent

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 29, 2010
              You may have broken a shifter fork. It is internal to the trans. There are 2 shifter forks. One for reverse and 1st. the other for 2 and 3rd. If you are going to get into the Transaxle you will need a service manual. Most of the folks here have gotten theirs from www.binderbooks.com . A shifter fork can be welded but there is a poppet ball that controls movement hence the reason for the manual. The fork and poppet ball are accessible from the top of the transaxel. You have to remove the seat, tunnel and fender body assembly to get to it. What I do know is you don't want to drop the poppet ball down in the trans as then you will need to disassemble even more to get it out. Ken our Kent on this site may have other words of wisdom on this.

              Good Luck
              Tim S...

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 29, 2010
                Remove the top of the transmission and slide the shifter forks into neutral
                position. You may have a broken or bent shifter fork or the shift lever may
                have slipped out of the fork. If you see no damage re-install the shifter
                and see if it shifts better.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 29, 2010
                  Tim - in his header he says it is a 52 cub so it is not a number series
                  tractor. No tunnel or panels to deal with.

                  BD

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 29, 2010
                    I sent a reply via my phone but do not think it made it.  I had the same problem.  What i found was the shifter slipped behind the 2nd and 3rd shifter fork.  It would move in reverse and felt like it was shifting but when in any other gear would stall essentially being in 3rd and reverse at the same time.  I realigned the shifter forks and reinstalled the shifter.  Apparently there was a problem with this issue from the previous owner since i found a hose clamp on the fork slide to prevent overtravel of the fork.  I removeed the hose clamp and have been carefull during shifting and have not had the problem.  Maybe there is something which can be tightened or its just wear not sure.  be interesetd to hear any other input.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 29, 2010

                      I hope you don't mind that it's not a low boy...

                      Anybody know of a good mechanic in the Stafford CT area. This might be beyond my knowledge!

                      Thanks for all the advice,

                      Neil

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 29, 2010
                        Hi Bigdog, good catch.. Don't see the other cubs on this site much.. Hey was it you working on the lowboy mods for a loader and backhoe?

                        Tim S..

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 29, 2010
                          Tim,
                          I believe that was Big Bill. I don't know where he stands on his
                          project right now. It has been a while since I've seen an update.
                          I have suggested to Neil that he might want to check out farmallcub.com
                          as a resource for his cub.

                          Bigdog