Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] Ag tire advice/questions

  • faithvineyard
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 11, 2010
      Kent (and others) Thanks for the replies. So far I have been unable to locate the center discs. The loop rims seem plentiful, but seem to be in the low $100 range each. Any suggestions on a source for either new or used wheels, preferably near the west coast?

      Also, is the turf rim a 16 or 16.1 rim? The parts manual lists it as a 16.1 but says it's for either a 13.6-16 or 12.4-16 tire. My tire store says they wouldn't put a 16 tire on a 16.1 rim even if they could find them. The internet lists some 12.4-16 tires (Firestone/Titan) but they aren't in production. Firestone has the 13.5-16.1 implement tire that is shown in the photos section, but it's expensive at $478 ea.

      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Kent Morris <kmokgm@...> wrote:

      > Price and with option wise, I would go with wheels from a Farmall Cub. The
      > center steel disc and 4 loop rims. They are not too hard to come by and
      > would give you at least 4 tread width spacings. You can also install
      > standard Cub rear weights.
      >
      > Kent
      >
      > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM, faithvineyard <faithvineyard@...>wrote:
      >

      > > I would like to change out the turf tires on my 154 to get better traction.
      > > Would I be better off fitting 12.4X16 ag tires to the existing 16" wheels,
      > > or getting the 7X24 wheels with either the 8.3X24 or 9.5X24 tires? Are the
      > > 24" wheels for the 154 the same as used on the regular Cub tractors? That
      > > would expand the potential sources for used wheels.

    • ElectricAll Construction & Maintenance In
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2010
        JP Tractor Salvage in Missouri has a stack of them. Ted

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2010
          Well, I managed to find a pair of the 24" one piece rims and have the tires mounted. The next question is should I also change over the front wheels and tires from the 10" turf tire to the 12" "tractor" tire?

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 30, 2010
            Yes, it greatly improves steering when using front mounted equipment. Easiest steering will be accomplished with a tri-rib tire. You can use wheels from a Farmall Cub or use a standard highway trailer rim that is readily available from many sources such as www.northerntool.com. Although not tri-rib, you could use the complete trailer wheel & tire. Another tread option would be a multi-rib tire.
            Kent

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2010
              Thanks Kent. Is the Cub wheel the same as part IH-351074-R91 and is the bolt circle 4 1/2"? I think I'll try the existing 10" turf tires since I either use the flail mower or tow a trailer and don't use any implements on the front. The ability to add wheel weights would be nice though

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2010
                The Farmall Cub fronts will work on the numbered series. The standard trailer rim will work on the numbered series, but not the Farmall Cub. The center hole on the trailer rim is just a little too small to fit on the machined Farmall Cub hub. The face of the numbered series hubs are flat so either rim will work.
                Kent

              • mc32spl
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2010
                  I bought a mounted pair of 12" trailer tires for on the front of my 184. Load range D or E, forget now, but they can be inflated to 40-45 PSI and are the equivalent of having power steering now, compared to the OEM turf tires that came on the tractor.

                  Cost was only slightly higher for the pair of new, mounted trailer tires, compared to the cost of buying one new Goodyear turf tire (one of the originals needed replaced). Since they are "highway tread", doesn't really dig up the turf, when mowing.

                  Really handy when the snow plow is mounted, even easier steering without the plow on the front.