Zenith carburetor

  • norbsimo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010
      I have a 1973 Lo Boy 154 with a Zenith 68YY7 carburetor installed. Apparently it is a retrofit from the original IH standard carburetor. I am in the process of overhauling the carb and have a question regarding the little spring that is used on the float axle/pin. It appears to be too small to have much effect on the carb float but I am sure it was put there for a purpose. Has anyone tried running without the spring installed? Is there a wrong way to install the spring? I'm still not sure how it goes back on the pin. Thanks for your help. Norb
    • Tim Stone
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
        I'm not sure of your Zenith carb model number but, the Zenith carb was the OEM carb for the 154,185 and 184. BTW that same carb is on other tractors as I have found. The float spring pushes the float down so that the float overcomes the spring when shutting off fuel flow. It also keeps it from bouncing up during operation. Once you rebuild a carb it will perform pretty well. Most of the carb problems are due to leaking (air or fuel) or clogged/gummed up. There are a couple of rebuild kits out there. Some that are simple reseal some are full rebuild (includes the spring you mention). Without the spring the carb may starve for fuel or stick and flood so I think you need the spring in place..

        Hope that helps..

        Tim S..

        I have a 1973 Lo Boy 154 with a Zenith 68YY7 carburetor installed. Apparently it is a retrofit from the original IH standard carburetor. I am in the process of overhauling the carb and have a question regarding the little spring that is used on the float axle/pin. It appears to be too small to have much effect on the carb float but I am sure it was put there for a purpose. Has anyone tried running without the spring installed? Is there a wrong way to install the spring? I'm still not sure how it goes back on the pin. Thanks for your help. Norb

      • Walter Kenney
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
          Norb

          I had that same question on the zenith carb on my 184. I tried the carb without the spring after I rebuilt it and it leaked. I put the spring back so that it helps to lift the float and it works  fine
          .
          Walt

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
            Thanks for your replies, Walt and Tim. I still neeed to know, is there a wrong way to install the spring? It would appear that both "legs" of the spring would be on top of the float arm. (I realize it may hard to visualize what I'm asking)