Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] 154 PTO parts????

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 15, 2010
      Sorry, Nate; I didn't mean to insult you. I was just speaking from my
      own experience. I had an alternator on one of my 12 volt conversion
      tractors go bad on me, and I just wanted to replace it with another
      similar rebuilt unit. I took it into the local AutoZone and asked if
      they had another just like it (a pretty much standard small 1-wire GM
      alternator). The counterperson demanded to know what kind of car it came
      from, so I explained that I was using it in a 1953 Farmall M, all I got
      was a blank stare, and a shake of the head. I took it to the (local
      independent) NAPA store down the street, and the counterman had a
      replacement sitting on the counter almost before I could put mine down
      (and swapped the pulleys without even being asked - the tractor uses a
      smaller pulley than a car, due to the low speed of the engine).

      That is why I assumed that if you tried to replace a seal and bearings
      from your tractor, you would go through a similar exercise in futility -
      the demand that you identify the make, model, and year of the car that
      the bearings and seal came from.

      It is good to know that there are still some folks out there working for
      the chain auto parts stores that are able to do more than look up parts
      on the computer.

      Mike

      On 8/14/2010 10:45 PM, Nathan Stark wrote:

      > Mike,
      > Sometimes those chain stores can do that too. I happen to work at one.
      > You just have to have the right person standing behind the book and they
      > have to have the know how to do it. In my experience I have changed over
      > many part numbers for the True farmer and I have been succesful at it
      > too.I have customers comming in asking for me because of this reason.
      > Just My 2 Cents!
      > Thanks
      > Nate

    • bigbill154cub
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 15, 2010
        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "bigbill154cub" <patriciaporciello@...> wrote:

        > I need two ball bearings PN# IH-59769-C92 for the PTO ingagement levers and the seals for the 3260 mower deck PN# 473428-R92 i need 6 seals. Is there any other source or part numbers that will interchange for these seals and ball bearings??

        The Napa store at my new town is really bad, they BS behind the counter like i'm interupting them. They they tell me they can't help me just to get rid of me so they can continue to BS.

        The Napa store at my old town were i know most of the people, were i been dealing for many years go out of ther eway to help me out.

        My point is the same store can be different because of the people.

        I was hoping that someone had the numbers before i take it all apart. If its a common used bearing maybe i can get tham at a bearing house along with my mower deck seals.

        I order most of my stuff on the net and most of these so called parts discount places are thrid hand sellers with no inventory on hand they order the parts like we do then package it and send it to us. I waited for partstree for over 6 months for parts, they forgot about my order. Now i'm waiting for outdoor distributors for a few months now too. I need to go to another source for parts.
      • mc32spl
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 15, 2010
          My experience has been "some of each". When the alternator died on my 184, took it to the Advanced Autoparts down the road. First guy demanded to know what it was "of off", told me he couldn't help me, when I said an IH 184.

          Another guy took over and found me a rebuilt one within a few minutes. Only thing I had to do, was add two spacers to put the pulley in line with where it needed to be. That was four years ago, it's still working fine.
        • Nathan Stark
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2010
            Its ok Mike,
            The parts people that can do that are far and few.I am 32 but Most of the older generation will do that kind of stuff for the customer, its called respect and that is great but it seems like more and more that most dont care that you have a collectors Item and that you just need help sometimes. Me myself am a collector and I love getting my help in on other peoples toys.
            My cents again
            Nate
            P.S. I also dont work for the Zone!

            Sorry, Nate; I didn't mean to insult you. I was just speaking from my
            own experience. I had an alternator on one of my 12 volt conversion
            tractors go bad on me, and I just wanted to replace it with another
            similar rebuilt unit. I took it into the local AutoZone and asked if
            they had another just like it (a pretty much standard small 1-wire GM
            alternator). The counterperson demanded to know what kind of car it came
            from, so I explained that I was using it in a 1953 Farmall M, all I got
            was a blank stare, and a shake of the head. I took it to the (local
            independent) NAPA store down the street, and the counterman had a
            replacement sitting on the counter almost before I could put mine down
            (and swapped the pulleys without even being asked - the tractor uses a
            smaller pulley than a car, due to the low speed of the engine).

            That is why I assumed that if you tried to replace a seal and bearings
            from your tractor, you would go through a similar exercise in futility -
            the demand that you identify the make, model, and year of the car that
            the bearings and seal came from.

            It is good to know that there are still some folks out there working for
            the chain auto parts stores that are able to do more than look up parts
            on the computer.

            Mike

            On 8/14/2010 10:45 PM, Nathan Stark wrote:

            > Mike,
            > Sometimes those chain stores can do that too. I happen to work at one.
            > You just have to have the right person standing behind the book and they
            > have to have the know how to do it. In my experience I have changed over
            > many part numbers for the True farmer and I have been succesful at it
            > too.I have customers comming in asking for me because of this reason.
            > Just My 2 Cents!
            > Thanks
            > Nate

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                ihcubloboyseries-digest@yahoogroups.com
                ihcubloboyseries-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Nathan Stark
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2010
              Sounds like 2 different generations or someone didnt know what you were talking about.
              Nate again

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 15, 2010
                First guy was "going by the book", second one had enough sense to see if they had the same alternator for a different application. Some countermen won't make an attempt, unless you give them something to look up in "the book". If they can't find the vehicle on their computer, they won't try to help.

                When I got the 184, one of the head lights was shot. Noticed Advance had two different "lawn equipment" bulbs on the shelf, so I took my bulb in and one that they stock, is an exact replacement. IIRC, it cost a whoppin' $8 four years ago?

                Apparently many auto parts chains in urban and suburban areas, don't have much in the way of "ag" parts on their data bases? NAPA seems to be the exception.
              • Craig
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 16, 2010
                  Those same seals are used in other applications on many "Cub Cadet" tractors and equipment so you may want to try the closest Cadet dealer that services them as well as sells them....
                  You could also try these guys, they claim to have them @ $6.00 a pop plus shipping. http://www.ccspecialties.org/implementparts_2.html