IH Cub loboy 154

  • eyefore1
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
      I have a 154 with a Woods grass cutter on the back and a blade on the front. I'm aware that the PTO runs backwards(counter clockwise)to standard I may be able to get a gear box to reverse the direction but they're buit to run at about 500 rpm and the PTO on the 154 is about 1800 rpm. Any comments would be appreciated.
    • craigflint@chartermi.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
        My suggestion to you would be to get the model number from the mower and go
        to Woods website and read through the online manual on that particular unit,
        you may well find out that it was made especially for the numbered
        lowboys......so the PTO would NOT be an issue. Woods made a rear mounted
        model {59LB-1}at one time for these old girls.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
          What exactly is your question?

          As far as being able to run Cat I powered implements, you can find
          devices to reverse the direction and drop the speed of the PTO. But
          remember that you are starting out with about 12 hp, so you have to keep
          that in mind when selecting an implement. By that I meat that you will
          not likely be happy trying to run a 5' brush cutter off the back of a
          LoBoy; it just doesn't have enough power to do the job properly.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2010
            --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, <craigflint@...> wrote:

            > My suggestion to you would be to get the model number from the mower and go
            > to Woods website and read through the online manual on that particular unit,
            > you may well find out that it was made especially for the numbered
            > lowboys......so the PTO would NOT be an issue. Woods made a rear mounted
            > model at one time for these old girls.

          • Cassius Toon
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
              I'm sorry.  The Woods cutter works fine.  My problem is finding a post hole digger and brush hog that will work.  It was apparently left out of my message.  Thanks for the reply.

              To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
              From: cdflint69@...
              Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 21:00:12 +0000
              Subject: Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] IH Cub loboy 154

              --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, <craigflint@...> wrote:

              > My suggestion to you would be to get the model number from the mower and go
              > to Woods website and read through the online manual on that particular unit,
              > you may well find out that it was made especially for the numbered
              > lowboys......so the PTO would NOT be an issue. Woods made a rear mounted
              > model at one time for these old girls.

            • Cassius Toon
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
                I'm sorry.  The Woods cutter works fine.  My problem is finding a post hole digger and brush hog that will work.  It was apparently left out of my message.  I read they made a post hole digger for the 154 but where do you get a reverse direction and drop speed.  Thanks for the reply.

                To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                From: mikesloane@...
                Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 16:54:44 -0400

                What exactly is your question?

                As far as being able to run Cat I powered implements, you can find
                devices to reverse the direction and drop the speed of the PTO. But
                remember that you are starting out with about 12 hp, so you have to keep
                that in mind when selecting an implement. By that I meat that you will
                not likely be happy trying to run a 5' brush cutter off the back of a
                LoBoy; it just doesn't have enough power to do the job properly.

                Mike

                On 8/2/2010 4:00 PM, eyefore1 wrote:

                > I have a 154 with a Woods grass cutter on the back and a blade on the
                > front. I'm aware that the PTO runs backwards(counter clockwise)to
                > standard I may be able to get a gear box to reverse the direction but
                > they're buit to run at about 500 rpm and the PTO on the 154 is about
                > 1800 rpm. Any comments would be appreciated.

              • northcreek2624
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2010
                  Look in the photo section,last page and see (PTO Speed & Direction Adapter) these things were made by Hub City and are around and you can see them on Ebay from time to time.Expect to pay from $400-$600 for one as they are in demand.
                  Just remember that these tractors are best at mowing,anything else will give you minimal results,you have low horsepower and a belt driven PTO so do the math...IMHO,Mike.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
                    Thanks for the reply.  You say look in the photo section, last page.  Last page of what?  Incidentally, the PTO on my 154 is gear driven.  I can copy a page out of the manual andsend it to you if you wish.

                    To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                    From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 00:53:45 +0000

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 4, 2010
                      Go to photos,then at the bottom click on LAST.If your pto is gear driven then somebody installed a pto from a early non-numbered Cub and it is not factory and also not an IPTO independent pto which again another problem...Mike

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 13, 2010
                        http://www.atis.net/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html is the site that I got the following info:

                        Aftermarket suppliers have also produced a standard Category 0/1 3-point hitch for the Cub. This hitch is generally only useful for non-powered implements, due to limitations on the Cub PTO. The PTO is non- standardized, running counter clockwise at engine speed, approx. 1800 RPM vs. the standard PTO which is 540 RPM with clockwise rotation. The PTO shaft on the Cub is also smaller, with a different spline. Therefore any powered attachments, need to be Cub specific versions. This 3-point hitch also limits the maximum implement weight to 300 lbs.

                        Implements provided by IH for the Cub include:

                        • Mowers: sickle bar, rotary, flail, gang (side, belly and rear mounted variations)
                        • Plows: one or two-way moldboard, disk, harrow
                        • Blades: snow and grader
                        • Bean Harvesters
                        • Cultivators: row crop, vegetable
                        • Planters: rowcrop, vegetable
                        • Middlebusters and listers
                        • Fertilizer spreaders
                        • Front end loaders
                        • Platform Carriers
                        • Posthole diggers
                        • Buzz Saws
                        • Tillage equipment: drag and disk harrows

                        To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                        From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 00:53:45 +0000