[IH CUB LoBoy Series] Re: 154 clutch won't release

  • njdale2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, John Jeanmaire <johnjeanmaire@...> wrote:

      > Dimensionally I believe the clutches are the same on the 154/185 and the 184.  Same installed lever height and same mounting bolt circle.
      > What is different is the springs and the levers.  To accommodate the heavier and longer springs in the 184 clutch, the levers have spring cups installed in them allowing the springs to extend above the levers approximately .25".
      > I have a 184, which has the spring cups.  The 154/185 clutch levers should appear flat on top.
      > If for some reason the longer 184 spring got installed in a 154/185 clutch, the springs would most likely fully compress (bottom out) before you got a good clutch release.
      > It used to be the 184 clutch had green springs 6.5 coils, and a wire diameter of .142".  The lighter springs were blue, had 5 coils and a wire diameter of .128".  I used to work for the company that designed and manufactured these clutches.  Specifications may have changed over the last few years.
      > I hope this helps.  Good luck and let us know what you find.

      John Jeanmarie,

      VERY Good information about the pressure plate finger differences and spring differences between the 154/185 and the 184. Two weeks ago my son replace everything on his 184 clutch. I just checked the "after" pictures and his new aftermarket $85 to $105 pressure plate definitely has the "spring Cups" in the pressure plate levers. All now works perfectly - but in his case, in addition to a worn out clutch, the throwout bearing and carrier were bad. He replaced the "Pilot Bearing" ans well (184 item ). It now all works like brand new from the factory.

      Thanks for the info, NJDale
    • bud
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2010
        Thank you!!, I will look into this weekend when I get to the tractor, Bud

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, John Jeanmaire <johnjeanmaire@...> wrote:

        > Dimensionally I believe the clutches are the same on the 154/185 and the 184.  Same installed lever height and same mounting bolt circle.
        > What is different is the springs and the levers.  To accommodate the heavier and longer springs in the 184 clutch, the levers have spring cups installed in them allowing the springs to extend above the levers approximately .25".
        > I have a 184, which has the spring cups.  The 154/185 clutch levers should appear flat on top.
        > If for some reason the longer 184 spring got installed in a 154/185 clutch, the springs would most likely fully compress (bottom out) before you got a good clutch release.
        > It used to be the 184 clutch had green springs 6.5 coils, and a wire diameter of .142".  The lighter springs were blue, had 5 coils and a wire diameter of .128".  I used to work for the company that designed and manufactured these clutches.  Specifications may have changed over the last few years.
        > I hope this helps.  Good luck and let us know what you find.

      • bud
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2010
          Just got back from working on the tractor, 5 coils on the pressure plate springs, no cups,

          Some may want to quit reading now as I describe my "fix"
          I put some.060 shims under the pressure plate bolts and it works perfect now.
          I really don't like to do work like this,but i spent a crap load of money trying to do it right and it was time to make it work.
          Thanks for all your help, Bud