Re: 184 New to ME!!

  • northcreek2624
    Message 1 of 18 , May 13, 2002
      Steve,You probably have stuck valves from sitting so long.Pull the
      side cover and have a look see.
      Spray the valve stems up through the ports after you remove the
      manifold and help them a little without scratching the stems.
      You could try towing the tractor in third gear and they might break
      free on their own,just be careful,let us know.....Mike
    • badboats30
      Message 2 of 18 , May 14, 2002
        --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., ihc4steve <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I just picked up a 184 with a 60" deck yesterday. The tractor had
        been
        > setting for about 3 years without being started. Previous owner
        said
        > it was running when parked (out in the weather no doubt). When I
        tried
        > top start it after draining tank and adding new fuel it would try
        > start but would never stay running. I cleaned the carb out, (not
        too
        > bad), replaced the points, cap and still have the same issue.
        Points
        > and plugs are showing a spark but seem to be weak. Looks like It's
        > getting plenty of fuel and I've taken the air filter hose off to
        > eliminate that. Can anyone think of something to look for? I'm
        > thinking of replaceing the coil as well. Any ideas would be
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Steve

        Steve make sure to check out the coil. I had a problem with mine
        (154). It was running rough and stalling. I tuned and cleaned etc
        and found out the coil was bad. I replaced the coil and its been fine
        since. Rick
      • northcreek2624
        Message 3 of 18 , May 14, 2002
          --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., northcreek2624 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Steve,You probably have stuck valves from sitting so long.Pull the
          > side cover and have a look see.
          > Spray the valve stems up through the ports after you remove the
          > manifold and help them a little without scratching the stems.
          > You could try towing the tractor in third gear and they might break
          > free on their own,just be careful,let us know.....Mike
          ....Steve forgot to mention,but when you get the manifold off check
          for mouse nests,especially in the muffler,blow everything out real
          good,those little buggers are always getting into places where they
          ought not be...........Mike
        • ihc4steve
          Message 4 of 18 , May 15, 2002
            I've installed the distributer/coil assmbly from my 154 as well as the
            carborator (yeah i know it is the small IH, but it works on the 154).
            However I still have the problem. The valves being stuck!! Would it
            let the tractor run at all? It does start but wil not stay running. I
            was thinking of this last night. Is there some electrical sensor that
            I'm missing? I'm going to try and hot wire the thing and take all the
            wiring out of the picture. I'll also look at the valves. Thanks for
            all the help.

            SRR

            --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., northcreek2624 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., northcreek2624 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > Steve,You probably have stuck valves from sitting so long.Pull the
            > > side cover and have a look see.
            > > Spray the valve stems up through the ports after you remove the
            > > manifold and help them a little without scratching the stems.
            > > You could try towing the tractor in third gear and they might
            break
            > > free on their own,just be careful,let us know.....Mike
            > ....Steve forgot to mention,but when you get the manifold off check
            > for mouse nests,especially in the muffler,blow everything out real
            > good,those little buggers are always getting into places where they
            > ought not be...........Mike
          • barry_s_u
            Message 5 of 18 , May 15, 2002
              My earlier note indicated that I had similar symptons and a loose
              wire in a connector under the dash. It was loose and vibrated away
              from the contact when the engine was running. Good idea to go around
              the wiring (Bat. to the + side of the coil). I thought of doing that,
              but I really was pretty sure that the wiring in the pedestal was the
              culprit, and it was. No electrical sensor other than the clutch
              safety switch, but that doesn't get involved with the problem you're
              looking at. If that were the problem, it would never turn over at
              all.
              Good luck.

              --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., ihc4steve <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > I've installed the distributer/coil assmbly from my 154 as well as
              the
              > carborator (yeah i know it is the small IH, but it works on the
              154).
              > However I still have the problem. The valves being stuck!! Would it
              > let the tractor run at all? It does start but wil not stay running.
              > was thinking of this last night. Is there some electrical sensor
              that
              > I'm missing? I'm going to try and hot wire the thing and take all
              the
              > wiring out of the picture. I'll also look at the valves. Thanks for
              > all the help.
              >
              > SRR
              >

              > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., northcreek2624 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., northcreek2624 <no_reply@y...>
              wrote:
              > > > Steve,You probably have stuck valves from sitting so long.Pull
              the
              > > > side cover and have a look see.
              > > > Spray the valve stems up through the ports after you remove the
              > > > manifold and help them a little without scratching the stems.
              > > > You could try towing the tractor in third gear and they might
              > break
              > > > free on their own,just be careful,let us know.....Mike

              > > ....Steve forgot to mention,but when you get the manifold off
              check
              > > for mouse nests,especially in the muffler,blow everything out
              real
              > > good,those little buggers are always getting into places where
              they
              > > ought not be...........Mike
            • ihc4steve
              Message 6 of 18 , May 17, 2002
                Ok guys. I've taken care of the stuck valves (one was stuck), taken
                the wiring out of the equation (12volts to + side of coil), replaced
                complete distributer/coil assembly from a running 154. I'm still
                having the problem with this tractor starting but not running. What am
                I missing here??? Help!!

                SRR

                > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., ihc4steve <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > I've installed the distributer/coil assmbly from my 154 as well as
                > the
                > > carborator (yeah i know it is the small IH, but it works on the
                > 154).
                > > However I still have the problem. The valves being stuck!! Would
                it
                > > let the tractor run at all? It does start but wil not stay
                running.
                > > was thinking of this last night. Is there some electrical sensor
                > that
                > > I'm missing? I'm going to try and hot wire the thing and take all
                > the
                > > wiring out of the picture. I'll also look at the valves. Thanks
                for
                > > all the help.
                > >
                > > SRR
                > >

                > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., northcreek2624 <no_reply@y...>
                wrote:
                > > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., northcreek2624 <no_reply@y...>
                > the
                > > break

                > > > ....Steve forgot to mention,but when you get the manifold off
                > check
                > > > for mouse nests,especially in the muffler,blow everything out
                > real
                > > > good,those little buggers are always getting into places where
                > they
                > > > ought not be...........Mike
              • barry_s_u
                Message 7 of 18 , May 17, 2002
                  Let's see...Spark, pretty much guaranteed (did you try loosening the
                  distributor and rotating it once it starts to see if you maybe have a
                  timing issue?). Air - no obstructions anywhere. think you already know
                  that. Fuel...are you absolutely sure that you've got a free flow of
                  fuel through the line to the carb? Into this part of the problem, you
                  can't forget the governor. Could be shutting down the fuel and
                  stalling you if not adjusted properly. You could try disconnecting the
                  linkage to the governor and manually operating the carb throttle with
                  the rod that's usually controlled by the governor. You'd need some
                  help to do that without hurting yourself, though. There are governor
                  adjustment procedures that you'd need to follow to get everything set
                  properly. You can also watch the throttle control rod after starting
                  to see if the governor is trying to shut down the fuel flow or
                  increase it. If the rod gets jammed to the extreme forward or backward
                  position, you should be able to manually move it in the opposite
                  direction to see if you can keep it running.
                  long-winded post, I know, but you haven't exhausted (pun intended)
                  everything as yet....
                  Barry

                • northcreek2624
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 17, 2002
                    Steve,Get a can of spray ether and when it begins to cut out spray it
                    down the carb throat,if it comes to life you'll know it's a fuel
                    problem,if it continues to die it's electrical.....Mike
                    P.S.You say it ran when parked 3 years ago,so I would'nt think that
                    anything came out of adjustment.Did you check for mouse nests?
                  • ihc4steve
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 17, 2002
                      Yeah, I have the throttle rod disconnected and am working it
                      manually. I know I'm getting fuel because I've removed the drain
                      plug from the carb and fuel is flowing freely. When I choke it when
                      starting, some fuel will even run out of the carb intake when it dies.
                      So I'm at a lose as to what is wrong. I'll try to adjust timing
                      tonight and see what happens. thanks for all the input so far.

                      SRR

                    • northcreek2624
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 17, 2002
                        Yes,running out of the carb,but are the plugs wet?Iwould do a
                        compression check.Sitting for long periods usually does two
                        things:1.valves become stuck 2.pistons and rings become stuck,you
                        know your pistons are'nt stuck,but rings could be.....Mike
                      • anteater6788
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 18, 2002
                          You may want to try pull starting it. We painted a tractor this
                          winter that ran great before but acted just like yours when we put it
                          back together and we finally had to pull start it to get it going,
                          after that it started fine. My neighbor who is a mechanic said that
                          every once in a while they get a car into their shop that needs
                          pulled to start the first time.

                        • ihc4steve
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 19, 2002
                            Thanks all who contributed to my 184 problem. I ended up having one
                            stuck valve and the rings in #1 cylinder. I soaked #1 with oil while
                            turning it over and was able to get some compression 100psi. Once I
                            got all this straightened out the tractor started and runs great. Went
                            out and did some mowing, this tractor is great!

                            Anyone want to buy a '71 154 or trade for a 1050 front loader? The 154
                            has just freshly been painted and looks and runs great. I just have to
                            figure out the generator problem which worked before I painted it.
                            The tractor has a 3 point hitch on it but I'm considering putting it
                            on my 184. I don't need two tractors at this point. I thought I'd give
                            you guys on the list a chance to get this tractor before I advertise
                            in the rags. I haven't decided on a price yet but will be willing
                            to negotiate. I'm in N. Texas just north of Dallas.

                            SRR

                          • Alan Corbitt
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 20, 2002

                              Does your 154 have a mower with it?

                                ihc4steve <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              Thanks all who contributed to my 184 problem. I ended up having one
                              stuck valve and the rings in #1 cylinder. I soaked #1 with oil while
                              turning it over and was able to get some compression 100psi. Once I
                              got all this straightened out the tractor started and runs great. Went
                              out and did some mowing, this tractor is great!

                              Anyone want to buy a '71 154 or trade for a 1050 front loader? The 154
                              has just freshly been painted and looks and runs great. I just have to
                              figure out the generator problem which worked before I painted it.
                              The tractor has a 3 point hitch on it but I'm considering putting it
                              on my 184. I don't need two tractors at this point. I thought I'd give
                              you guys on the list a chance to get this tractor before I advertise
                              in the rags. I haven't decided on a price yet but will be willing
                              to negotiate. I'm in N. Texas just north of Dallas.

                              SRR

                              --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., anteater6788 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                              > You may want to try pull starting it.  We painted a tractor this
                              > winter that ran great before but acted just like yours when we put
                              it
                              > back together and we finally had to pull start it to get it going,
                              > after that it started fine.  My neighbor who is a mechanic said that
                              > every once in a while they get a car into their shop that needs
                              > pulled to start the first time.
                              > --- In ihcubloboyseries@y..., ihc4steve <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                              > > Ok guys. I've taken care of the stuck valves (one was stuck),
                              taken
                              > > the wiring out of the equation (12volts to + side of coil),
                              > replaced
                              > > complete distributer/coil assembly from a running 154. I'm still
                              > > having the problem with this tractor starting but not running.
                              What
                              > am
                              > > I missing here??? Help!!
                              > >
                              > > SRR

                              > as
                              > > > the
                              > the
                              > > > 154).
                              > Would
                              > > it
                              > > running.
                              > sensor
                              > > > that
                              > all
                              > > > the
                              Thanks
                              > > for

                              > long.Pull
                              > > > the
                              > > the
                              > stems.
                              > might

                              > > > check
                              > > > real
                              > where
                              > > > they

                              GOD BLESS AMERICA

                              Do You Yahoo!?
                              LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience

                            • ihc4steve
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 20, 2002
                                I had been using a kubota 48" K480 3 point hitch finish mower behind
                                my 154. Does an OK job but I needed a 60" for mowing 3 acres. I do
                                plan on keeping the 3 point hitch on the 154 for my 184.

                                SRR