RE: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] difference between a 184 and 185

  • Chad Strutzenberg
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11 7:18 AM

      John,

                     How much do you want to get out of it?

      Chad Strutzenberg

      Garden Tractor Parts

      Minooka,Illinois

    • Tim Stone
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11 8:17 AM
        Hey don't forget it the PTO is changed from a mechanical one to an electric one that is completely different.

        Also the HP improvment came for domed pistons so the compression ratio is higher..

        Tim S..

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11 8:55 AM
          I would like $2,500 it. It is a nice tractor, can send pics if interested.

          thanks

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11 9:47 AM
            There are really a couple of issues with the price of tractors today: 1.
            In my experience being in the business, it is very hard to sell a
            tractor, especially a grass cutting machine, any time before the grass
            is growing (I realize that it may have already started in TX). 2. The
            market for used tractors of any kind is pretty bad in the present
            economy - people are dumping tractors on to the market because they are
            unemployed and need the cash and are pricing them low to get them moved
            quickly.

            And, of course, the popularity of the LoBoy tractors is going to vary by
            region - in some areas you will never see a LoBoy, while in others they
            are sitting in half the garages/barns in area. A lot of that had to do
            with the local IH dealer for the locality. (Not far from where I live
            there were/are many large estates, and these tractors were popular for
            cutting grass and snow removal of long private drives. My 184 came from
            just such an estate.)

            Mike

            John Adams wrote:

            > Mike I have been following you discussion on the 184 and 185 series
            > tractors, thanks for the good incite on the differences between the two.
            > I am a proud owner of a 154 lowboy tractor and quite frankly have been
            > disappointed with how little they are selling for. They are a great little
            > tractor; I have the IH belly mower and the 3-point lift for my tractor but
            > only use the mower for now. My wife wants me to sell it since I also have
            > an old 74 Cub Cadet that I use to mow the .6ack on my place. I am on a lake
            > in Corsicana Tx.
            > I am sure I will sell my 154 even though it is running good and I only use
            > it occasionally.
            > I only wish the price for these little tractors would increase some.
            >
            > John in Texas
          • ronald lynch
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 11 10:03 AM
              where i live you rarely see one of the cub lo boys but there is a lot of the standard cubs sitting in sheds and back yards. they come out when the gardening season arrives. i guess that one reason the lo boy is not popular is that they are not as suited for gardening. they are primarily an oversized lawnmower. i have a lo boy with the starter generator i use it primarily to pull things around the yard. i have plans to put a front end loader on it some day. even that some say it is not really suited for one. one of the things i really like is i have the large turf tires on mine and i do not have to worry about it turning over on a hill. a few years ago i had a small japanese tractor that was fine except it was narrow and sat up so high that i was afraid of it turning over on a sidling place.

            • cypressfreight@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 11 1:58 PM
                Thanks Tim for the info. I am restoring a 185 that was given to me and was just wandering what the difference was . I also have 2 far mall cubs that were given to me that needs some tlc later. Thanks again

                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                From: Tim Stone <tpstone3756@...>
                Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:17:52 -0800 (PST)
                To: <ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com>

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ihcubloboy series/join

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 12 6:45 AM
                  Mike in Texas the grass has started and snow has never been a issue for us.

                  The economy in Texas is better than in most parts of the country since we
                  have no state tax and the employment rate is lower than the national
                  average.
                  One thing Mike we have plenty of is land. Lots of small and large farms,
                  the small tractor use in Texas is limited to mowing grass and some small
                  garden plots.
                  With all the farmers and ranchers in Texas tractors are plentiful and the
                  larger the tractor the better. As for estates like where you got your
                  tractor they have a service mow them.
                  The 0 turn mowers are taking over and the collectable fun little tractors we
                  have are more for personal pleasure.

                  There is something about the people that like the challenge of the
                  collectable tractors the band them together for a common cause to get them
                  running and push the envelope on what they can do, guess I got hooked and am
                  now one of those people.

                  Thanks
                  John