Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Re:1966 cub loboy [3 Attachments]

  • steve lash
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2010
      Dana,
      Very nice tractor, its pretty much what im looking for.  I would like turf tires but that isnt much of a problem.  I have never had a cub.  How well do they mow?  I have a 2 acre yard that is mostly pretty flat with a few small rolls.  I am not ready to buy yet, i have a motorcycle to sell before i purchase a tractor.  If you still have the tractor then, i will contact you. I am very interested and your tractor looks just right.  And im from Kittanning PA.
      Thanks for contacting me.
      Steve Lash

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2010
        In my opinion, a Cub Lo-Boy (not the numbered 100 series LoBoy) is an OK
        tractor for your mowing needs, under the following conditions: the
        blades have to be kept very sharp and the grass not too heavy/tall. The
        reason for this is that the 5' IH C-3 or Woods L59 mowers are about the
        maximum size for the old 12 hp C-60 engine. Also, the PTO is driven by
        the engine clutch, so you have to get everything running full speed and
        then move forward into the grass. I used a '64 Lo-Boy for many years
        this way, but when the grass got really thick, I would end up having to
        cut half a deck width at a time or get out a bigger machine.

        <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_cubs/cubscuttinggrass.html>

        Mike

        steve lash wrote:

        > Dana,
        > Very nice tractor, its pretty much what im looking for. I would like
        > turf tires but that isnt much of a problem. I have never had a cub.
        > How well do they mow? I have a 2 acre yard that is mostly pretty flat
        > with a few small rolls. I am not ready to buy yet, i have a motorcycle
        > to sell before i purchase a tractor. If you still have the tractor
        > then, i will contact you. I am very interested and your tractor looks
        > just right. And im from Kittanning PA.
        > Thanks for contacting me.
        > Steve Lash

      • Gene

              *I have 1966 cub loboy with belly mower,runs excellant,new rear
              tires r/f tire new,plus battery,voltage regulator and seat
              cushion..located Linesville,Pa on U S hwy 6 two miles from Ohio
              line.A true collector's item perfect for farm shows and small town
              parades,if dont want to work it.$2250.00 plus I will del up to 500
              miles for an additional $350.00.Any questions please ask.814-724-
              9262 anytime*

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              ihcubloboyseries-digest@yahoogroups.com
              ihcubloboyseries-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2010
            The original C-60 engine (C-60 stood for "Carbureted, 59.5 cubic
            inches") in the 1947 Farmall Cub put out a whopping 9.25 hp. Later
            improvements (and increasing the top governed speed above 1600 rpm),
            increased the horsepower over time, until the end of the line - the 184
            with 19 hp.

            I am no expert (even though I have a barn full of Cubs from a 1948
            through a 184), so I rely on "the book" for much of my information. For
            those of you interested in the history of the Cub through the 184 and
            the Cub Cadet line, an excellent book is "Farmall Cub & Cub Cadet" by
            Kenneth Updike (who is also the main person at Carter & Gruenwald, an
            excellent full service Case IH dealer <www.cngco.com> and regular
            contributor to Red Power magazine). It is published by Motorbooks
            International ISBN 0-7603-1079-3.

            Mike

            Gene wrote:
            > Mike, I didn't know the C-60 was ever a 12 horse. My two tractors have a
            > 15 and 18 Hp engines. Guess I've more to learn. Have a good day.
            > Gene

          • Gene
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2010
              Thank you Mike. I'm saving this info. At my age (80) I still have much to learn
              Gene