184 Valve Adjustment (Help Please)

  • gost530
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
      I'm having a little difficulty trying to adjust the valves on a Cub 184. In the Operators Manual I read valve clearance (engine cold both intake and exhaust .015). In the Blue Ribbon Service Manual I read that same clearance engine cold should be .013.

      I really don't want them too tight but I am not interested in hearing them tap either. Can anyone help?

      Thanks Gary
    • DBigdog
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2009
        Gary,
        I have used both settings without a problem. I generally just split
        the difference and set them at .014" and have not had a problem.

        BD

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2009
          In my humble opinion, the difference between .013" and .015" is of
          little matter in an engine like that. The operator manual is designed
          for owners, while the Blue Ribbon manual is targeted at dealer
          mechanics. I suspect IH guessed that most owners didn't have .013"
          feelers in their tool box (not a common size), so IH figured that they
          would have .015" and went with that.

          Mike

          gost530 wrote:

          > I'm having a little difficulty trying to adjust the valves on a Cub 184.
          > In the Operators Manual I read valve clearance (engine cold both intake
          > and exhaust .015). In the Blue Ribbon Service Manual I read that same
          > clearance engine cold should be .013.
          >
          > I really don't want them too tight but I am not interested in hearing
          > them tap either. Can anyone help?
          >
          > Thanks Gary

        • Brad Stogsdill
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2009
            Hi Gary-

            I think tapping is the lesser of 2 evils (the other being burnt valves) so I would go with .015 and see if it taps or not. If it it does tap too much you can always go back and set to 013.

            I just got a 154 projec tractor - I expect I will be checking my valve adjustment on it before long...
            Best wishes
            Bradley