154 Tractor idles wide open- wont idle down.

  • tgb7142
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
      I would appreciate any advice that you guys could give. I have a 1973 154 Lo boy that idles at max rpms when I start it and I can not get it to idle down. The throttle cable isnt froze up, the butterflies in the carb are moving freely. I dont know what else I should check. Thanks, Travis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
        I would guess that that the problem is a stiff linkage at the governor.
        The speed of the C-60 engine isn't controlled by your "throttle" cable.
        The cable connects to the governor, and the governor actually changes
        the throttle setting. What you need to do is locate the governor (at the
        very front of the engine on the right side) and the link to the
        carburetor (running behind the fan over to the left side) and make sure
        that it moves freely. Most times, all it needs is a little cleaning and
        some light oil to free the linkage up. Other times, (not often) you have
        to pull the governor and free up the internal mechanism, which is not
        something you should do without having a service manual available, as
        the governor drive gear also is used to time the distributor.

        Mike

        tgb7142 wrote:

        > I would appreciate any advice that you guys could give. I have a 1973
        > 154 Lo boy that idles at max rpms when I start it and I can not get it
        > to idle down. The throttle cable isnt froze up, the butterflies in the
        > carb are moving freely. I dont know what else I should check. Thanks, Travis

      • travis bowles
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
          Thanks for responding Mike, I did check the linkage to the governor and it moves freely. I haven't removed the governor housing yet because I wasn't sure what it would involve. So I guess that may be my next step.....I notice a drain plug on the front of the gov housing. Is there a type of lubricating oil inside the governor?

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
            That isn't a drain plug on the governor housing; it is part of the
            mechanism - the bumper spring cover. The governor is lubricated by oil
            picked up by the camshaft timing gear - there is no reservoir or other
            lubrication. The problem with removing the governor is that, as I
            mentioned, the distributor is timed by the governor drive gear. At the
            least, you should place the crankshaft pulley timing mark at TDC and
            then note the position of the rotor (a digital image helps immensely
            later on) so that you can re-assemble everything without having to pull
            the distributor later on.

            I cannot recommend too strongly that you obtain at least the part of the
            service manual relating to the governor. The service manual is not
            expensive and does an excellent job of walking even a casual weekend
            mechanic through the various steps. <www.binderbooks.com>

            Mike