loboy 154 carb trouble

  • whitesox70
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2009
      My loboy cub 154 is giving me headaches all of a sudden. It will idle only if the choke is pulled all the way out. Here is a rundown of what I've done so far..I turned the idle mixture screw all the way in, then backed out a turn. Cleaned the filter screen and sediment bowl. Drained any cruddy fuel from bottom of carb. Replaced air filter & plugs. I am at a total loss! Please help me.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2009
        While there are several causes for your problem, the most likely would
        be crud in one of the nozzles or passages. That is something that only
        disassembly and a thorough cleaning will fix. I suggest you go to a NAPA
        auto parts store and pick up a carburetor cleaning kit - a gallon can of
        cleaner with a basket. Disassemble the carburetor completely and set
        aside ALL non-metallic pieces. Then put the metal pieces into basket and
        lower it into the cleaner and leave it or about half an hour or so.
        After sitting, raise the basket and let everything drain, then rinse off
        the pieces with warm water and air dry. If you have compressed air
        available, gently blow everything clear. Then re-assemble the carburetor
        and put it back on. Save the cleaner - it doesn't get used up - and cap
        the can tightly. The cleaner is strong stuff, so you want to have eye
        protection and wear rubber/Nitrile gloves, just to be on the safe side.
        Note that the cleaner will ruin any gaskets, so make sure you have them
        all out - check the parts manual page for all the pieces. When you put
        the carb back together, set the idle screw and the main mixtures screw
        about 1-1/2 to 2 turns out for an initial setting.

        The other potential sources of your problem are vacuum leaks in the
        intake - either loose carburetor studs or a pinhole/crack in the intake
        manifold. The latter isn't common, but it does happen. To do a quick
        check for a vacuum leak, get the engine running and move the head of an
        unlit (but with the valve cracked open) propane torch slowly around the
        intake area. When the propane is sucked into the engine, the speed will
        increase, and you will have found the leak.

        Mike

        whitesox70 wrote:

        > My loboy cub 154 is giving me headaches all of a sudden. It will idle
        > only if the choke is pulled all the way out. Here is a rundown of what
        > I've done so far..I turned the idle mixture screw all the way in, then
        > backed out a turn. Cleaned the filter screen and sediment bowl. Drained
        > any cruddy fuel from bottom of carb. Replaced air filter & plugs. I am
        > at a total loss! Please help me.
      • Tim Stone
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6, 2009
          Put the mix screw back where it was.

          1. Check the tank and bowl on the tank valve for debris/varnish.
          2. Tear the carb down and look for grit in the jet and/or a torn gasket.
          3. Inspect the float to see if it has gone bad causing the carb to be starved for fuel.
          4. Check the govenor spring to see if it is broken.

          My thoughts are these because it has come on suddenly..

          Good Luck
          Tim S...

          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2009
            Well, I went to a IH dealer and bought a carb rebuild kit ($80), and lo and behold...the problem was a faulty gasket at the float bowl. She runs like a top..actually better than before the problem arose. Kudos and thanks to you guys for all your help and input, it's much appreciated!!
          • David Rust
            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2009
              Whitesox....thats good news.  Glad you got 'er going.  Now its time cut grass big time.
              Dave