Stumpped on stalling!!!

  • girlsford
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
      Ok I have a 185 cub and Im having stalling issues. The tractor starts up fine and runs like a champ until it gets warm then it quits. The tractor will not start up again unless I jump start it with another tractor. I have tested the voltage at the batt. with the engine running and its right up there 14v is what it is. I have had the batt. tested and it is good. But I just cant put my finger on what could be the problem. Can someone help me please???
    • DBigdog
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
        It sounds like a failing coil to me.

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
          That sounds like a coil going bad.  They will run when cold, but when they heat up they start to fail.  I would try a different coil before anything else.
          DaveR
        • girlsford
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
            Well when I had it running last year i swapped out the coil with the coil off of my 1948 Farmall H and it did the same thing. Ran for a while then quit my H had never did this before thats why I swapped with it.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
              The most common reasons why any gas engine stalls when hot are
              overheating and a failing ignition coil.

              As far as overheating, that is usually caused by grass and other chaff
              accumulating in the radiator fins and blocking air flow. I usually end
              up using a nozzle on my air hose with a long tip to blow air back from
              the fan side out. You would be amazed how much crap you can blow out of
              a Cub or LoBoy radiator that way.

              The other problem is a coil that breaks down when hot. Unfortunately,
              the only way I know of testing this is to buy another coil and try it to
              see if it eliminates the problem. I suppose you could try hitting it
              with a CO2 fire extinguisher to cool it, but I have never been a
              position to try that.

              Mike

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
                The H coil is a 6 volt coil, while the one on the 154 is designed for 12
                volts. Using the H coil could fry it.

                Mike

                girlsford wrote:

                > Well when I had it running last year i swapped out the coil with the
                > coil off of my 1948 Farmall H and it did the same thing. Ran for a while
                > then quit my H had never did this before thats why I swapped with it.
                >
                > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:ihcubloboyseries%40yahoogroups.com>, "David Rust" <dlrust@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > That sounds like a coil going bad. They will run when cold, but when
                > they heat up they start to fail. I would try a different coil before
                > anything else.
                > > DaveR
              • girlsford
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
                  When I rebuilt my H I made sure I switched it over to 12V so I do have a 12v coil on it.

                  --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...> wrote:

                  > The H coil is a 6 volt coil, while the one on the 154 is designed for 12
                  > volts. Using the H coil could fry it.
                  >
                  > Mike
                  >
                  > girlsford wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Well when I had it running last year i swapped out the coil with the
                  > > coil off of my 1948 Farmall H and it did the same thing. Ran for a while
                  > > then quit my H had never did this before thats why I swapped with it.
                  > >
                  > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:ihcubloboyseries%40yahoogroups.com>, "David Rust" <dlrust@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > That sounds like a coil going bad. They will run when cold, but when
                  > > they heat up they start to fail. I would try a different coil before
                  > > anything else.
                  > > > DaveR

                • girlsford
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
                    That was in 1997 that I did that

                    --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "girlsford" <girlsford@...> wrote:

                    > When I rebuilt my H I made sure I switched it over to 12V so I do have a 12v coil on it.
                    >
                    > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The H coil is a 6 volt coil, while the one on the 154 is designed for 12
                    > > volts. Using the H coil could fry it.
                    > >
                    > > Mike
                    > >
                    > > girlsford wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Well when I had it running last year i swapped out the coil with the
                    > > > coil off of my 1948 Farmall H and it did the same thing. Ran for a while
                    > > > then quit my H had never did this before thats why I swapped with it.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
                    > > > <mailto:ihcubloboyseries%40yahoogroups.com>, "David Rust" <dlrust@>

                    > > > they heat up they start to fail. I would try a different coil before
                    > > > anything else.

                  • girlsford
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
                      I wouldn't think that the tractor would start right back up after stalling if it was the coil. I would think it would have to cool off before it would start back up. but I just give it a jump and it starts right back up and runs.

                      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "girlsford" <girlsford@...> wrote:

                      > That was in 1997 that I did that
                      >
                      > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "girlsford" <girlsford@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > When I rebuilt my H I made sure I switched it over to 12V so I do have a 12v coil on it.
                      > >
                      > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > The H coil is a 6 volt coil, while the one on the 154 is designed for 12
                      > > > volts. Using the H coil could fry it.
                      > > >
                      > > > Mike

                    • northcreek2624
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
                        When you restart with another tractor is it because your 154 will no longer crank over?
                        Also are you running a points/condenser ignition?and how old is your battery?..Mike.
                      • girlsford
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
                          yes the 185 will not start wont crank or nothing! I have checked the voltage after it quit and there is very little voltage like the gen./sterter isnt working but like I said earlier The voltage when I first start it and check it at the batt.it is fine. Yes the 185 still has the points and condenser set up. Battery was purchased last year and still started the tractor this year without charging with batt. charger.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 29, 2009
                            I think that you have a faulty generator or regulator.Because your battery is relativly new it will rebound overnight and will run the tractor until the demands of the ignition degrade it to a discharged state.If this continues you will be buying another battery because this sort of thing really shortens battery life...MIKE.
                          • jarhead251266
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 31, 2009
                              --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, northcreek2624 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > I think that you have a faulty generator or regulator.Because your battery is relativly new it will rebound overnight and will run the tractor until the demands of the ignition degrade it to a discharged state.If this continues you will be buying another battery because this sort of thing really shortens battery life...MIKE.

                              My Dads 185 would quit running while mowing and it turned out to be the pto clutch coil going to ground killing the battery and the life of the battery. Brian
                            • northcreek2624
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 1, 2009
                                Brian,that could be the case on a 184 tractor but,the 185 has a manual clutch like the 154 so there is no coil in this case...Mike.