Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] 154 HYD FLUID CHECK

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
      Not a correction but a little more explanation - Hy-Tran is/was the
      brand name the IH used for their hydraulic fluid starting back in the
      1940s, when hydraulic were just starting to appear on tractors. Other
      systems at the time just used motor oil (which will work, but not very
      well). Today, you can still buy Hy-Tran at Case IH dealers, but you can
      also read the "fine print" on pretty much any "tractor hydraulic fluid"
      container, and you will see the words "equivalent to IH Hy-Tran" (as
      well as half a dozen other similar brands from JD, AC, New Holland,
      etc.). So don't get too caught up with the brand name. I have been using
      NAPA tractor hydraulic fluid for many years in a dozen different IH and
      other tractors with excellent results. Note that you need to use
      "tractor" fluid, not the stuff designed for newer systems, like skid
      steer loaders, etc., which is a little thin for the older machines.

      And I consider Binder Books to be the "gold standard" for IH manuals
      (avoid manuals from Jensales, unless you haven't a choice).

      Mike

      theworkfarm wrote:

      > Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you should also use caution
      > in replacing the hydraulic fluid. IH uses a combination fluid that
      > lubes the transmission and serves the as the hydraulic fluid. It is
      > called Hy-Tran.You can get it at any farm supplier like Farm and
      > Fleet. Also, get a manual from www.binderbooks.com.
      >
      > tom
    • doug
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2008
        there are 3 resevoirs in the rearend of the tractor.
        at the rear there are 3 plugs. fill to this level.

        the outer ones are the final gear reductions. just gears and roller
        bearings.
        the center one is the gearing for the transmission. also serves as the
        resevoir for the hydraulic system. this needs special attention because
        of the hydraulic use.
        according to the manual you need Hy-Tran fluid in all 3 reservoirs.

        i use in the outer final drive 80W or 90W gear oil. quites gear noise
        and is perfect for just this.
        i use in the middle transmission AW68 hydraulic fluid. equivelant and
        better. can be purchsed any supplier of oil.

        the hytran is 68W oil with anti-foam adgents in it.
        todays oil is much better then what was prescribed in the 70's. todays
        oil contains anti-wear adgents that are supreme from the 70's

        there are no delicate parts in the hydraulic system or transmission of
        this machine to be concerned over special oils.

        i have found that large earth moving equipment dealers offer the best
        price on these oils.
      • backman5656
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2008
          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "doug" <ohiowirths@...>
          wrote:
          >Thank You for the info you seem to know about these tractors,i also
          have a shaft roar that i cant find,stops when pto is engaged any idea
          what it is??? Rick
          > there are 3 resevoirs in the rearend of the tractor.
          > at the rear there are 3 plugs. fill to this level.
          >
          > the outer ones are the final gear reductions. just gears and roller
          > bearings.
          > the center one is the gearing for the transmission. also serves as
          the
          > resevoir for the hydraulic system. this needs special attention
          because
          > of the hydraulic use.
          > according to the manual you need Hy-Tran fluid in all 3 reservoirs.
          >
          > i use in the outer final drive 80W or 90W gear oil. quites gear
          noise
          > and is perfect for just this.
          > i use in the middle transmission AW68 hydraulic fluid. equivelant
          and
          > better. can be purchsed any supplier of oil.
          >
          > the hytran is 68W oil with anti-foam adgents in it.
          > todays oil is much better then what was prescribed in the 70's.
          todays
          > oil contains anti-wear adgents that are supreme from the 70's
          >
          > there are no delicate parts in the hydraulic system or transmission
          of
          > this machine to be concerned over special oils.
          >
          > i have found that large earth moving equipment dealers offer the
          best
          > price on these oils.

        • Doug/Tammy
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
            the "Roar" noise you hear is a problem the output shaft at the clutch assy. when the clutch is engaged it spins as an entire assembly. when disengaged the output shaft after the clutch is stationary. so when the output shaft is not spinning you hear a roar? this would indicate to me there is a problem with the clutch.
            I would recommend you take it apart and inspect. could have a bad bearing in it. there is a grease fitting on it to grease.
            the clutch is located at the end of the engagement rod..
            clutch can be removed from the rear of the tractor and is easier if you remove the fenders and seat cover sheetmetal.