Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] engine skip

  • John Jeanmaire
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
      I had a problem three weeks ago with the engine missing under load.  It progressively got worse over a couple of weeks of mowing until it got to a point where I had to disconnect the PTO for the engine to recover.
      Was going to check engine compression when I found a loose #1 spark plug.  Torqued it, and it has run great since.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2008
        I would be really suspicious of a spark issue.. As was mentioned by one of the other respondants (loose spark plug). The spark on any normally asperated engine is really critical. I always walk through the spark, then fuel and lastly compression.

        One other side note is troubleshoot the problem one test at a time. I've seen many a simple problem made worse by trying something and then not putting it back the way it was therefore creating a new and seperate problem.

        I would start by checking for good spark on each plug.. Should be blue or white and not yellow. I think someone had a homemade spark checker shown in the photos.. May have not been elegant but was definately functional looking.. After that just walk backward in the electrical system until eliminated. Then go on to fuel much in the same way..

        Tim S..

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2008
          Good advice, Tim!

          See
          <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/tools__equipment/ignition_tester.html>
          for my "50 cent tester" that Tim refers to.

          Mike