Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] 154 not running

  • Tim Stone
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 9, 2008
      Hi Tom, if it is turning over slow and no spark then try jumping the battery.. Most likely there isn't enough juice in your battery to make the coil spark..

      Good Luck
      Tim S...

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 9, 2008
        Here's my two cents....though, I haven't been following this thread closely.  I have on older Cub 154 and have always assumed that it was the battery (which I still think I have a very slight electrical drain)....and that the cub is a cold starter (or didn't like the cold)....Finally diagnosed a "sick" starter.  Mine must have a slight dead/dying spot.  Sometimes it would start right up....other times it would "attempt" to turn over slowly....which I attributed to the battery or bad connection....and finally, it recently stopped trying to start sometimes. My wonderful mechanic told me to pull the belt a 1/4 turn...WOW she started right up.  I still need to replace the starter or have it rebuilt, but for now....MY LONG TERM DILEMMA HAS BEEN SOLVED.   Just thought this might apply to someone else with starting problems.

        Jackie

        wrote:

        > I have a had a couple of occasions when the engine would turn over
        but not start. If I connected a battery charger, it would start right
        off. My conclusion is that although there is enough battery to turn
        the engine, there's not enough energy left for a good spark.

        > Believe it or not, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
        >
        > Kent

        Internal Virus Database is out of date.