Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Thanks from Maureen

  • Czar Malabar
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7 7:07 AM
      Mike & Kent,
      Thank you again for all your help.   It is all greatly appreciated!

      Right now, I'm leaning towards getting a single bottom plow.  (These seem pretty easily accessible & inexpensive.) The simple drag harrow mentioned sounds perfect for my use, too.   I'm going to check into the Swisher tow-behind self powered mower.   This can probably wait til next year.  I'll try to leave the turf tires with no chains and see what happens.

      Thanks for all the info on the key, dry gas, and PTO switch.  I also appreciated the history of the oddball PTO.
      I'm assuming down the road, I'll most likely need a bigger farm tractor but for right now, I have this 154 (meter shows used under 400 hours) in my pole barn and I'm determined to put it to some use.  Thanks again.

      Maureen
      P.S. Mike, Thanks for the offer to help set up the plow for the first time.  I may just contact you off the group.
    • outdoors4evr1
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7 9:55 AM
        Can I ask why you would prefer a self-powered mower? The 184 has
        plenty of horsepower to turn blades and is very fuel efficient to use.

        I have a Swisher that we use to mow 3 acres up north with and it uses
        about a gallon of gas each mow. I have not been impressed so a zero
        turn replaced it last month. The Swisher is now for sale.

        Woods does build finish mowers that are PTO driven that hang under
        the 184 and are correctly geared for the 184 PTO. You will have to
        check with them as to whether they also build the 3-point style
        finish mower that is correctly geared.

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "Czar Malabar"

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7 2:28 PM
          "Can I ask why you would prefer a self-powered mower?"

          Sure.  I wouldn't have a guess how one might hookup a new or used mower deck.  I don't think Lee does either.  He is puzzled with the non-knob that is supposed to raise the deck if there were one on the machine.  ?  Also, I don't know anyone who can work on our 184 to help out.  So I am trying to make do with what I have and the limited knowledge I have.  If anyone knows anyone reputable and interested in working on this model for a reasonable fee in Central or Upstate New York, please let me know.  Thanks.
          Maureen
        • mjgeorgal
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8 4:28 AM
            Maureen here is a link for free owner and implement manuals.

            http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/index.html

            Copy and paste in your browser.

            <czarmalabar@...> wrote:

            > "Can I ask why you would prefer a self-powered mower?"
            >
            > Sure. I wouldn't have a guess how one might hookup a new or used
            mower deck. I don't think Lee does either. He is puzzled with the
            non-knob that is supposed to raise the deck if there were one on the
            machine. ? Also, I don't know anyone who can work on our 184 to
            help
            out. So I am trying to make do with what I have and the limited
            knowledge I have. If anyone knows anyone reputable and interested
            in
            working on this model for a reasonable fee in Central or Upstate New
            York, please let me know. Thanks.
            > Maureen

          • outdoors4evr1
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8 5:39 AM
              The same handle that raises & lowers the 3-point hitch also raises and
              lowers the rocker for the undermount mower deck. There may be a
              diverter valve located on the tunnel below the key. This is an option
              and it selects which device to lift (3-point or rocker). If a diverter
              is not present then both lift or drop at the same time. Both devices
              are gravity drop so without some weight on the rocker, it really
              doesn't go down.
              I think you would be very impressed with a Woods deck or a IH 3160A
              mower deck on your 184. I just love the mowing experience with mine!

              <czarmalabar@...> wrote:

              > "Can I ask why you would prefer a self-powered mower?"
              >
              > Sure. I wouldn't have a guess how one might hookup a new or used
              mower deck. I don't think Lee does either. He is puzzled with the non-
              knob that is supposed to raise the deck if there were one on the
              machine. ? Also, I don't know anyone who can work on our 184 to help
              out. So I am trying to make do with what I have and the limited
              knowledge I have. If anyone knows anyone reputable and interested in
              working on this model for a reasonable fee in Central or Upstate New
              York, please let me know. Thanks.
              > Maureen

            • Czar Malabar
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 8 10:45 AM
                Thanks, great link.
                Maureen

                .

              • bobbycurious@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 11 3:28 PM
                    Hi Bob,
                    We're in East Syracuse and the tractor is in the Fulton not too far from Oswego.
                    Right now, I'm waiting for my brother to get done with a bunch of jobs he's working on.  I'm interested to see what he has to say about it after having a look.  He's the most knowledgeable mechanic we have in our circle of friends and family.  But even if he can't/won't work on it, he does have a trailer that we can use to bring it somewhere to get it working & hooked up the way we'd like.
                    I think I know which 'non-knob' you are referring to but what I was referring to is an odd bolt like think that it right in between your leg/feet.  There is a sticker with directions saying something about 'lifting mower here' or something along that line.
                    Thanks, I'm not loosing hope yet.  I just need to wait a bit.
                    Maureen