Re: Transmission problem

  • yllanc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
      When this happened on my 154 it was caused by the splines getting
      worn on the drive shaft, this caused it to break out the center of
      the clutch disc. I had a machine shop take off 5/8 in. of the end of
      the drive shaft and turn a new pilot end on the shaft. After doing
      this the shaft was split in the center and lengthened by the same
      amount, so the finished length was the same as the original. This was
      accomplished with a sleeve over the shaft. The unworn splines then
      engage the clutch disc, solving the problem. The altenative is to buy
      a new shaft which is pricy! Mine kept breaking out the clutch centers
      until I did the above. Harold

      > Looks like the centre of the main clutch disk has blown out. This
      > happened last August and the was replaced.
      >
      > Is there any way this can be self inflicted or could it be a faulty
      > disk?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Richard
      >
      > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, twactoruk <no_reply@>
      wrote:

      > > OK - its one of those weeks. Having replaced alternator and fixed
      > > creeper the tractor was running better than ever then...
      > >
      > > ...The engine stopped turning the drive shaft. The drive shaft
      can
      > > easily be spun by hand with engine on or off. Depressing the
      clutch
      > > makes no difference.
      > >
      > > Is this a clutch problem or something more ominous?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Richard

    • twactoruk
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
        Thanks Harold - that's great advice. Having taken the clutch out
        there is a little bit of play with the clutch center on the drive
        shaft. There's about an 3/4 inch of spline in the centre where the
        play is and either side it is fine. If the drive shaft is all the way
        in the clutch center there is no play. Still this is not job I want
        to do regularly so I'll explore you drive shaft options.

        I have a feeling that when I fixed the creeper and put the drive
        shaft back in I may not have pushed it all the way in and the worn
        section ended up in the clutch center. Live and learn!

        Thanks

        Richard

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "yllanc" <suelter@...> wrote:

        > When this happened on my 154 it was caused by the splines getting
        > worn on the drive shaft, this caused it to break out the center of
        > the clutch disc. I had a machine shop take off 5/8 in. of the end
        of
        > the drive shaft and turn a new pilot end on the shaft. After doing
        > this the shaft was split in the center and lengthened by the same
        > amount, so the finished length was the same as the original. This
        was
        > accomplished with a sleeve over the shaft. The unworn splines then
        > engage the clutch disc, solving the problem. The altenative is to
        buy
        > a new shaft which is pricy! Mine kept breaking out the clutch
        centers
        > until I did the above. Harold
        > >
        > > Looks like the centre of the main clutch disk has blown out. This
        > > happened last August and the was replaced.
        > >
        > > Is there any way this can be self inflicted or could it be a
        faulty
        > > disk?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > Richard
        > >
        > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, twactoruk <no_reply@>
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > OK - its one of those weeks. Having replaced alternator and
        fixed
        > > > creeper the tractor was running better than ever then...
        > > >
        > > > ...The engine stopped turning the drive shaft. The drive shaft
        > can
        > > > easily be spun by hand with engine on or off. Depressing the
        > clutch
        > > > makes no difference.
        > > >
        > > > Is this a clutch problem or something more ominous?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks
        > > >
        > > > Richard

      • twactoruk
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
          OK looks like we have probable cause. Having shown the drive shaft to
          the dealer mechanic his view was that there was no problem with it
          and that the wear was well within tolerances.

          He did say, however, that engaging the forward gears while rolling
          backwards in neutral can blow the clutch. When the creeper problem
          got worse - popping out of H frequently, I would often reengage the
          drive while free wheeling up or down slopes (out of frustration). So
          it looks like user error. Still - I now know how to change the clutch
          etc. That saved me $600!

          Thanks for all the help

          Richard