Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Re: Transmission problem

    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2008
      I have been running my half a dozen Cubs and a Lo-Boy for 30+ years and
      have never had any problem like that. I have to think that either
      something is wrong with the clutch assembly or you got a defective
      clutch disk.

      Mike

      twactoruk wrote:

      > Looks like the centre of the main clutch disk has blown out. This
      > happened last August and the was replaced.
      >
      > Is there any way this can be self inflicted or could it be a faulty
      > disk?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Richard

    • yllanc
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
        When this happened on my 154 it was caused by the splines getting
        worn on the drive shaft, this caused it to break out the center of
        the clutch disc. I had a machine shop take off 5/8 in. of the end of
        the drive shaft and turn a new pilot end on the shaft. After doing
        this the shaft was split in the center and lengthened by the same
        amount, so the finished length was the same as the original. This was
        accomplished with a sleeve over the shaft. The unworn splines then
        engage the clutch disc, solving the problem. The altenative is to buy
        a new shaft which is pricy! Mine kept breaking out the clutch centers
        until I did the above. Harold

        > Looks like the centre of the main clutch disk has blown out. This
        > happened last August and the was replaced.
        >
        > Is there any way this can be self inflicted or could it be a faulty
        > disk?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Richard
        >
        > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, twactoruk <no_reply@>
        wrote:

        > > OK - its one of those weeks. Having replaced alternator and fixed
        > > creeper the tractor was running better than ever then...
        > >
        > > ...The engine stopped turning the drive shaft. The drive shaft
        can
        > > easily be spun by hand with engine on or off. Depressing the
        clutch
        > > makes no difference.
        > >
        > > Is this a clutch problem or something more ominous?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > Richard

      • twactoruk
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
          Thanks Harold - that's great advice. Having taken the clutch out
          there is a little bit of play with the clutch center on the drive
          shaft. There's about an 3/4 inch of spline in the centre where the
          play is and either side it is fine. If the drive shaft is all the way
          in the clutch center there is no play. Still this is not job I want
          to do regularly so I'll explore you drive shaft options.

          I have a feeling that when I fixed the creeper and put the drive
          shaft back in I may not have pushed it all the way in and the worn
          section ended up in the clutch center. Live and learn!

          Thanks

          Richard

          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "yllanc" <suelter@...> wrote:

          > When this happened on my 154 it was caused by the splines getting
          > worn on the drive shaft, this caused it to break out the center of
          > the clutch disc. I had a machine shop take off 5/8 in. of the end
          of
          > the drive shaft and turn a new pilot end on the shaft. After doing
          > this the shaft was split in the center and lengthened by the same
          > amount, so the finished length was the same as the original. This
          was
          > accomplished with a sleeve over the shaft. The unworn splines then
          > engage the clutch disc, solving the problem. The altenative is to
          buy
          > a new shaft which is pricy! Mine kept breaking out the clutch
          centers
          > until I did the above. Harold
          > >
          > > Looks like the centre of the main clutch disk has blown out. This
          > > happened last August and the was replaced.
          > >
          > > Is there any way this can be self inflicted or could it be a
          faulty
          > > disk?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Richard
          > >
          > > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, twactoruk <no_reply@>
          > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > OK - its one of those weeks. Having replaced alternator and
          fixed
          > > > creeper the tractor was running better than ever then...
          > > >
          > > > ...The engine stopped turning the drive shaft. The drive shaft
          > can
          > > > easily be spun by hand with engine on or off. Depressing the
          > clutch
          > > > makes no difference.
          > > >
          > > > Is this a clutch problem or something more ominous?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks
          > > >
          > > > Richard

        • twactoruk
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
            OK looks like we have probable cause. Having shown the drive shaft to
            the dealer mechanic his view was that there was no problem with it
            and that the wear was well within tolerances.

            He did say, however, that engaging the forward gears while rolling
            backwards in neutral can blow the clutch. When the creeper problem
            got worse - popping out of H frequently, I would often reengage the
            drive while free wheeling up or down slopes (out of frustration). So
            it looks like user error. Still - I now know how to change the clutch
            etc. That saved me $600!

            Thanks for all the help

            Richard