Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Fuel in oil follow up

    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2008
      A new hydraulic pump may cost half as much as what you paid for the
      whole tractor.

      Try this first: Buy an "overhaul kit" from Case IH, take the pump apart
      (very carefully and on a clean surface), and replace the handful of
      gaskets and O rings from the kit. If the surface of the drive shaft
      doesn't have a groove (where the O ring contacts it) that is obvious,
      smooth out any slight scratches gently with some emery cloth, and put it
      all back together exactly the way it came apart. If the shaft has a deep
      groove from the hardened O ring rubbing on it, then you really don't
      have much choice but to replace the pump. I got by on one bad shaft by
      smoothing it out and then using a thicker O ring that I found. So far,
      it is holding up OK.

      Mike

      burgertime631 wrote:

      > So far so good, thanks to this group. I checked the trans yesterday to
      > add any needed
      > hytrans,i removed the trans plug and the fluid is pale yellow, My father
      > in law suggested that
      > it may be what they used at one time. Its perfect in consistency not
      > like emuslified oil and
      > water. It looked like heavy cream with a yellow tinge. Im expecting to
      > hear that its
      > contaminated from this group. I suspect that trans fluid is entering the
      > oil system from your
      > posts. The Hyd pump looks like a straightforward swap. Any advice on
      > this matter. Replace
      > the unit or just replace the o-ring?
      > Thanks

    • burgertime631
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2008
        As usual you pull me out of a mess. I am going to dissasemble first but if need be would
        it be okay to try a used pump from a dissasembled 154? BTW white trans fluid? Its
        definately contaminated?

        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2008
          White hydraulic fluid has been contaminated with water - usually from
          condensation resulting from sitting outdoors, especially when cooling
          down after running on hot humid days. It does not indicate that anything
          is wrong with the pump itself. If the pump O ring is bad, hydraulic
          fluid gets pumped past the seal and into the engine - your engine oil
          would then show the same appearance as the contaminated hydraulic fluid
          mixed with the engine oil. Changing the hydraulic fluid completely in a
          Lo-Boy is a little complicated, and you need to run the engine for a
          minute, with all the plugs out, and exercise the hydraulic cylinder and
          valve to get most of the fluid out. You will never get all the fluid
          out, but you will get close. Refill, replace the filter, and exercise
          the cylinders half a dozen times to get all the air out, then top off
          the various reservoirs.

          If the pump is truly ruined, a used pump may do the job, but I would
          examine it carefully before spending any significant money on a used
          pump, unless you know for sure that it was working in the old tractor.
          You could be buying another problem pump.

          I think it would be better take things one step at at time and solve
          your engine running problems before you start ripping apart your
          hydraulic system. That has been my experience.

          Mike