Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Fuel in oil

  • burgertime631
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      I know owning an older machine comes with responsibility's but this machine has been
      almost a curse. New driveshaft and associated parts,clutch, petronix, two carb rebuilds
      and still cant cut the grass with it! Anyhow i wouldnt have gotten half this far if not for the
      members of this group. The oil level was up and clearly contaminated. Before i rip the carb
      down again, how do i determine if its hydraulic leaking into the system?

      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
        Always remember, if you acquire something second hand (a car, tractor,
        girlfriend, etc.), somebody else got rid of it for some reason.
        Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. :-)

        The only way I could tell that the hydraulic pump was leaking in the two
        machines I had where they failed was that the level of the hydraulic
        fluid kept going down, while the level on the oil dipstick kept going
        up. Also, the oil looked really "clean" (very unusual in any of my
        tractors).

        A hydraulic pump leaking into the engine won't cause poor running, but
        it will cause fouling of the filter and poor oil pressure - hydraulic
        fluid is only the equivalent of about 10W oil, and is not at all good
        for the bearings in an old engine.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          The oil level was up. I suppose my next step is to fill rear with hytrans and watch the level.
          I was looking at older posts for an answer to fill the rear. Do you simply remove all three
          plugs on the rear ( lower ones first ) and fill all three until they overflow? Thanks again
          Mike.

        • rez616@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2008
            I like your "second hand" analagy(sp). The final drives are separate from the transmission.  Transmission oil cannot leak into them.

          • outdoors4evr1
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2008
              Don't get off track here. While having some trans oil in the crankcase
              isn't good for the engine, it doesn't really cause an engine to run
              poorly. All of the things you have tried so far have not "fixed" the
              issue. These were not the root cause. Fuel, Air, Spark, & Timing are
              what you should be focusing on.

              --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, rez616@... wrote:

              > I like your "second hand" analagy(sp). The final drives are separate
              from
              > the transmission. Transmission oil cannot leak into them.
              >

              > **************Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S.
              used car

            • rez616@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                Trans oil in engine oil is a real possibility.  Oil dilution on the C60 engine is possible with lots of run time in cold weather.  If the carb float is sinking it could run rich and cause oil dilution. It would run so bad that I doubt it would run for long however. A flooding carb would leak fuel out of the intake and that little nipple on the bottom of the carb that is the drain for such an event. As stated before, check the trans oil to see if is going down. If it is fix the problem. Oil in these machines always smells a little of gas. My 46 A does, my 185 does and so does my Bolens.

              • burgertime631
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                  I am going to top off the trans with fluid tomorrow and post my results in a day or two. I
                  ran the machine today for a half hour or so. i didnt check the fluid level but will check
                  tomorrow. There was creamy white substance lining the dipstick tube. My father in law
                  says its from condensation. I think otherwise. There is a VERY small amount of creamy
                  white substance on the end of the dipstick now but not visibly mixed in with the oil.