Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Lo-Boy 154

  • designer62@qtm.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 4:37 AM
      Tony,

      Most all of us really enjoy owning our lo boys.  If you can get
      a good deal on that one your looking at, sounds good to me.
      A mower deck is a common attachment for this tractor.  However,
      a 3 pt. hitch is a more rare item on one of these tractors.  There
      are quite a few attachments that are made for these tractors and
      you can use other brand attachments with a minimum amount of
      modification.  Some are harder to find than others.   A front
      grader/plow blade is pretty easy to find.  A rear blade is pretty
      easy to find also.  Now the PTO on the rear that drives the mower
      deck is supposedly opposite rotation of most any brush hog type
      mower.  I also believe it is running at an uncommon speed.  They
      do make a mower for the rear to accomodate this, but it is pretty
      rare.  They also make an adapter to run the common pull type
      mowers but is even more rare.  I have heard of sickle bar mowers
      for the lo boys.  Front end loaders can be found occasionally.
      It may take time for you to find what you want.  The older these
      tractors get, the harder it is to find some attachments.

      Mike
      Niles, Mi

      Tony wrote:

      Hi,I thinking about buy a 154.I have never owned a Cub Lo-Boy before.So
      have a few questions about them.The one im looking at is in good shape
      has the deck and 3 point hitch on it.Has headlight too.What is the weak
      point of them?Or what to look for.What attachments can you get for them?
      Like tiller,plow, push blade and so on.Are the attachment hard to find
      or can you use other brands?And any thing else you can tell me about
      them.Thanks Tony

      No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.21.2/1304 - Release Date: 2/29/2008 8:18 AM
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 5:06 AM
        Potential weak items on the 154 are the starter/generator, outboard
        clutch and clutch brake, and the PTO. The rest of the machine is pretty
        solid, since the engine and drive train are based on the Farmall Cub
        that started life in 1947.

        Without a three point hitch, attachments are limited to a center mounted
        rotary mower and front blade. With the optional three point hitch, you
        can use small Cat I three point implements like a blade, carry-all, boom
        crane, scoop, furrow plow, etc. Unfortunately, the PTO runs in reverse
        of the standard and at engine speed, not 540 rpm, and has a smaller
        shaft. So you would have to find old implements designed for that series
        of tractor - rotary tiller, flail mower, rotary brush cutter, etc. In
        order to use a rotary tiller, you really need the optional "creeper"
        auxiliary gear.

        But the tractor makes a really fine lawn mower just as it is, if the
        clutch and PTO are in good shape.

        Mike

        Tony wrote:

        > Hi,I thinking about buy a 154.I have never owned a Cub Lo-Boy before.So
        > have a few questions about them.The one im looking at is in good shape
        > has the deck and 3 point hitch on it.Has headlight too.What is the weak
        > point of them?Or what to look for.What attachments can you get for them?
        > Like tiller,plow,push blade and so on.Are the attachment hard to find
        > or can you use other brands?And any thing else you can tell me about
        > them.Thanks Tony

      • Tony
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 1:50 PM
          Thanks guys for in info.I went back today and the guy sold it before I
          got there.So I will keep looking for one.Thanks Tony