Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Clutch throwout bearing

  • DBigdog
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2007
      The original throwout bearings are carbon / graphite not plastic. As a
      rule, if maintained properly they will last 40 - 50 years or more. Even if
      it is 1940's engineering it's hard to argue with their success. I have
      several late 40's early 50's cubs that still have their original throwout
      bearing. Bates Corp. did engineer a ball bearing replacement but the early
      ones (at least) held up poorly. In some cases lasting only a couple of
      weeks. I don't know if they were able to overcome their issues or not as
      none of the cub owners I know want to fool with them. So you might try
      Bates for some information.

      Bigdog

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2007
        I completely agree with Bigdog's comment. I have half a dozen Cubs and
        and a 184 with the old graphite throwout bearings and have yet to have
        one fail. But you do have to lubricate them from time to time (there is
        a grease fitting that is supposed to stick out underneath - it is
        possible to assemble the bearing upside down, making it impossible to
        grease), and the most important thing it to NOT hold the clutch down
        unless you are changing gears. And never, never "ride" the clutch to try
        to move the tractor when there isn't enough power or when plowing snow.
        My oldest Cub is a '48 and still has the original release bearing.

        Mike