Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Carb problems

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1 2:58 AM
      The reason I didn't suggest internal carburetor problems is because you
      say it runs on starter fluid sprayed into the throat. But I think you
      are correct that there is a blockage internally. I would suspect that
      the nozzle might be plugged, or some other passage. You might not be
      able to remove that material by just spraying carb cleaner.

      You can buy a gallon of liquid carb cleaner from NAPA. Pour enough
      cleaner into a stainless steel bowl sufficient to cover the disassembled
      carburetor and let it soak for a couple of hours. If that doesn't remove
      the blockage nothing will. Some cautions: wear rubber gloves and eye
      protection, don't splash the stuff up in your face, and don't put any of
      the non-metallic pieces in (they will dissolve!). Rinse the pieces off
      with water, air dry, and re-assemble. The remaining cleaner (except for
      a little sludge at the bottom) can be poured back into the container for
      use another time. I use an old metal kitchen strainer for the smaller
      pieces. I was fortunate to rescue a stainless steel vegetable steamer,
      with a removable basket from the dumpster, and that is an excellent
      carburetor cleaning machine.

      Mike

      burgertime631 wrote:

      > i had the tank boiled and relined last year and added an inline
      > filter. Fuel is flowing into the carb. I think the problem is with
      > the needle valve. I dissasembled the unit and the likely culprit is
      > the needle valve. No other moving parts except for float. I never
      > changed the float.I sprayed carb cleaner into every orfice and
      > nothing is blocked. Im stumped.Should i order another needle valve?
      > thanks Mike

    • Sig Mund
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1 6:44 AM
        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...>
        wrote:

        Good Morning.
        I am not sure which screw is the air and which is the fuel setting on
        the carb. Can anyone tell me which is which?

        Thank you,
        Sig

      • rez616@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1 11:50 AM
          Time to get a manual.  Farm & Fleet sell the I&T manuals. You can buy manuals from Jensales or Binder Books.  Much easier to see the carb cross-sections and what adjusts what.  I just bought a Cub Lo-Boy parts and shop manual on CD off Ebay for $6 each.  I think the I&T manuals might be better but they costs more.  Rich

          See what's free at AOL.com.
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1 12:23 PM
            The parts breakdown can be accessed from several websites like www.partstree.com. If you buy reproduction manuals, I suggest www.binderbooks.com.    Manuals from CaseIH are run though a black & white copier. Although from clean copies, often the photos are too dark to see the detail. The Jensales manuals I have seem are whatever they have to throw though a copy machine. They include pencil notes and grease smudges. In my opinion, Jensales are poor quality. I have seen 4 or 5 Jensales manuals and all were of poor quality.

            Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2007 1:50 PM
            Subject: Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Re: Carb problems

            Time to get a manual.  Farm & Fleet sell the I&T manuals. You can buy manuals from Jensales or Binder Books.  Much easier to see the carb cross-sections and what adjusts what.  I just bought a Cub Lo-Boy parts and shop manual on CD off Ebay for $6 each.  I think the I&T manuals might be better but they costs more.  Rich

            See what's free at AOL.com.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1 2:22 PM
              The IT manuals are just the "Reader's Digest" version of the factory
              manuals. You are much better off with the factory manuals every time.

              And the quality of the Binder Books <www.binderbooks.com> manuals is
              twice the quality of what you get from Jensales - I have bought both and
              found out the hard way.

              Mike

              rez616@... wrote:

              > Time to get a manual. Farm & Fleet sell the I&T manuals. You can buy
              > manuals from Jensales or Binder Books. Much easier to see the carb
              > cross-sections and what adjusts what. I just bought a Cub Lo-Boy parts
              > and shop manual on CD off Ebay for $6 each. I think the I&T manuals
              > might be better but they costs more. Rich

            • Patrick Drennen
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 7, 2010
                Trying to figure out what is wrong with my 154. It will not run without being choked, could this be problems with the carb?

                Thanks for any help.

                Pat

              • Tim Stone
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 7, 2010
                  Hi Pat, could be some gunk in the carb or in the strainer bowl (under the fuel tank). You will need to make a new gasket if you remove the bowl to clean it out. It is a cork a rubber gasket. I made mine out of cork and rubber stock I got at a local car parts shop. There are rebuild kits for the zenith carb. Although you can try just cleaning it out first.

                  Hope that helps
                  Tim S...

                • ebony51@frontiernet.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 7, 2010
                    Check to see if any air leaks from the air cleaner to the carb.

                    Larry H.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 8, 2010
                      Pat,

                        As Tim says, check your sediment bowl and insure you have good fuel flow to the carburetor.

                        If you have an original IH carburetor, and the problem is dirt in the main jet, you can externally remove it for cleaning. On the outboard side of the carburetor, you should see a brass hex head. This is the main jet. Remove it, check it for obstructions and clean it. You can then flush the carburetor bowl by turning the gas on or spraying carburetor clean into the main the main jet hole on the carburetor. If you continue to have frequent problems, you may then need to clean and rebuild the carburetor.

                      Kent