Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Carb problems

  • burgertime631
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30, 2007
      i had the tank boiled and relined last year and added an inline
      filter. Fuel is flowing into the carb. I think the problem is with
      the needle valve. I dissasembled the unit and the likely culprit is
      the needle valve. No other moving parts except for float. I never
      changed the float.I sprayed carb cleaner into every orfice and
      nothing is blocked. Im stumped.Should i order another needle valve?
      BTW how do i adjust the float level?

      thanks Mike
      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...>

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
        The reason I didn't suggest internal carburetor problems is because you
        say it runs on starter fluid sprayed into the throat. But I think you
        are correct that there is a blockage internally. I would suspect that
        the nozzle might be plugged, or some other passage. You might not be
        able to remove that material by just spraying carb cleaner.

        You can buy a gallon of liquid carb cleaner from NAPA. Pour enough
        cleaner into a stainless steel bowl sufficient to cover the disassembled
        carburetor and let it soak for a couple of hours. If that doesn't remove
        the blockage nothing will. Some cautions: wear rubber gloves and eye
        protection, don't splash the stuff up in your face, and don't put any of
        the non-metallic pieces in (they will dissolve!). Rinse the pieces off
        with water, air dry, and re-assemble. The remaining cleaner (except for
        a little sludge at the bottom) can be poured back into the container for
        use another time. I use an old metal kitchen strainer for the smaller
        pieces. I was fortunate to rescue a stainless steel vegetable steamer,
        with a removable basket from the dumpster, and that is an excellent
        carburetor cleaning machine.

        Mike

        burgertime631 wrote:

        > i had the tank boiled and relined last year and added an inline
        > filter. Fuel is flowing into the carb. I think the problem is with
        > the needle valve. I dissasembled the unit and the likely culprit is
        > the needle valve. No other moving parts except for float. I never
        > changed the float.I sprayed carb cleaner into every orfice and
        > nothing is blocked. Im stumped.Should i order another needle valve?
        > thanks Mike

      • Sig Mund
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
          --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...>
          wrote:

          Good Morning.
          I am not sure which screw is the air and which is the fuel setting on
          the carb. Can anyone tell me which is which?

          Thank you,
          Sig

        • rez616@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
            Time to get a manual.  Farm & Fleet sell the I&T manuals. You can buy manuals from Jensales or Binder Books.  Much easier to see the carb cross-sections and what adjusts what.  I just bought a Cub Lo-Boy parts and shop manual on CD off Ebay for $6 each.  I think the I&T manuals might be better but they costs more.  Rich

            See what's free at AOL.com.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
              The parts breakdown can be accessed from several websites like www.partstree.com. If you buy reproduction manuals, I suggest www.binderbooks.com.    Manuals from CaseIH are run though a black & white copier. Although from clean copies, often the photos are too dark to see the detail. The Jensales manuals I have seem are whatever they have to throw though a copy machine. They include pencil notes and grease smudges. In my opinion, Jensales are poor quality. I have seen 4 or 5 Jensales manuals and all were of poor quality.

              Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2007 1:50 PM
              Subject: Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Re: Carb problems

              Time to get a manual.  Farm & Fleet sell the I&T manuals. You can buy manuals from Jensales or Binder Books.  Much easier to see the carb cross-sections and what adjusts what.  I just bought a Cub Lo-Boy parts and shop manual on CD off Ebay for $6 each.  I think the I&T manuals might be better but they costs more.  Rich

              See what's free at AOL.com.

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2007
                The IT manuals are just the "Reader's Digest" version of the factory
                manuals. You are much better off with the factory manuals every time.

                And the quality of the Binder Books <www.binderbooks.com> manuals is
                twice the quality of what you get from Jensales - I have bought both and
                found out the hard way.

                Mike

                rez616@... wrote:

                > Time to get a manual. Farm & Fleet sell the I&T manuals. You can buy
                > manuals from Jensales or Binder Books. Much easier to see the carb
                > cross-sections and what adjusts what. I just bought a Cub Lo-Boy parts
                > and shop manual on CD off Ebay for $6 each. I think the I&T manuals
                > might be better but they costs more. Rich

              • Patrick Drennen
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 7, 2010
                  Trying to figure out what is wrong with my 154. It will not run without being choked, could this be problems with the carb?

                  Thanks for any help.

                  Pat

                • Tim Stone
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 7, 2010
                    Hi Pat, could be some gunk in the carb or in the strainer bowl (under the fuel tank). You will need to make a new gasket if you remove the bowl to clean it out. It is a cork a rubber gasket. I made mine out of cork and rubber stock I got at a local car parts shop. There are rebuild kits for the zenith carb. Although you can try just cleaning it out first.

                    Hope that helps
                    Tim S...

                  • ebony51@frontiernet.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 7, 2010
                      Check to see if any air leaks from the air cleaner to the carb.

                      Larry H.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 8, 2010
                        Pat,

                          As Tim says, check your sediment bowl and insure you have good fuel flow to the carburetor.

                          If you have an original IH carburetor, and the problem is dirt in the main jet, you can externally remove it for cleaning. On the outboard side of the carburetor, you should see a brass hex head. This is the main jet. Remove it, check it for obstructions and clean it. You can then flush the carburetor bowl by turning the gas on or spraying carburetor clean into the main the main jet hole on the carburetor. If you continue to have frequent problems, you may then need to clean and rebuild the carburetor.

                        Kent