clutch related questions

  • dixiwillie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2007
      Hello to all again. Finished installing my clutch today and have a
      couple of questions. I used the search to try to find the answers but
      didn't have any luck.
      First, everything is operating fine except for a noise when clutch
      pedal is depressed all the way (super quiet and smooth when clutch is
      engaged). It sounds like a slight scraping/pecking sound that varies
      quite a bit. This brings me to my first question. Because of the
      slight "dry" scraping sound I'm wondering if it could be the pilot
      bushing. Am I looking at this wrong, doesn't the driveshaft spin inside
      the pilot bushing in the rear flywheel (or what the manual calls the
      rear pp)when the clutch is depressed? Isn't that dry steel spinning in
      dry brass? I realized that even if you greased the shaft it would only
      be a "one time" thing, which I wouldn't think would amount to much.
      Also, after installing the clutch I realized my torque wrench wasn't
      accurate. The manual stated to torque the pp bolts to 25/ftlbs but mine
      are torqued to quite a bit more. I don't see anything that could hurt
      but would like another opinion on it. I assumed the reason they stated
      a specific torque was to insure they were tight enough so as not to
      back out.
      Sorry to run so long but any advice is appreciated. Stan