Rear Seal 154

  • emch_sr
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
      Hi, I started to replace the rear seal on my 154. When I bought the new
      seal at IH, they said if the new seal fits loose in the retainer plate
      I would have to buy the plate and seal together. Which was about
      $150.00. Anyways, in the back messages I read where some of you were
      using a sealant to kinda glue the loose seal in. What is the best
      sealant to use? Don
    • paul30024
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "emch_sr" <emch_sr@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, I started to replace the rear seal on my 154. When I bought the
        new
        > seal at IH, they said if the new seal fits loose in the retainer
        plate
        > I would have to buy the plate and seal together. Which was about
        > $150.00. Anyways, in the back messages I read where some of you
        were
        > using a sealant to kinda glue the loose seal in. What is the best
        > sealant to use? Don

        Don,
        I had the sme problem on my 184. I tried automitive blue gasket
        sealer and it blew out after about week of use. I went up on the
        board and

        On Marck 13, 2006 Mike Slone wrote:
        "I have replaced several rear crankshaft seals. I used Loctite 404
        (or even better Loctite 603, if you can find it in small quantities)
        and have not had a problem."

        I took Mikes advice and used Loctite 603. Not a drop of oil leak and
        about 90 hours of use so far.

        Paul Bosak
      • John Jeanmaire
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
          I agree with the loctite.  Loctite makes many compounds, you want to get a high temp retaining compound. The ones I have used are usually green. 620 is a good one.
           I had my retainer plate off so I also heat cured the Loctite after installing the seal.  Loctite recommends 220 deg. F for twenty minutes.  Just pop the seal/ retainer assembly in the oven.
          Perma-Lok also makes a similar product.

          wrote:

          > Hi, I started to replace the rear seal on my 154. When I bought the
          new
          > seal at IH, they said if the new seal fits loose in the retainer
          plate
          > I would have to buy the plate and seal together. Which was about
          > $150.00. Anyways, in the back messages I read where some of you
          were
          > using a sealant to kinda glue the loose seal in. What is the best
          > sealant to use? Don

          Don,
          I had the sme problem on my 184. I tried automitive blue gasket
          sealer and it blew out after about week of use. I went up on the
          board and

          On Marck 13, 2006 Mike Slone wrote:
          "I have replaced several rear crankshaft seals. I used Loctite 404
          (or even better Loctite 603, if you can find it in small quantities)
          and have not had a problem."

          I took Mikes advice and used Loctite 603. Not a drop of oil leak and
          about 90 hours of use so far.

          Paul Bosak

          always stay connected to friends.

        • emch_sr
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
            Thanks all for the the reply. I just came back from Napa and they never
            heard of 603,404 or 660 loctite. I see it on their web page ( loctite)
            so I know it's out there. Does anyone know where else I might find this
            loctite other than the net. Tks Don

          • pbosak@att.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007

              Don,

              I purchased mine form the local Applied Industrial Technology .

              You can search here for a local store.

              http://web.applied.com/base.cfm?page_id=1506

              It is also available from McMaster Carr

              http://www.mcmaster.com/

              Regards

              Paul

              -------------- Original message from "emch_sr" <emch_sr@...>: --------------

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
                Try MSC <www.msdcirect.com> or McMaster-Carr <http://www.mcmaster.com/>.
                A small tube should run you about $7 plus shipping.

                Mike

                emch_sr wrote:

                > Thanks all for the the reply. I just came back from Napa and they never
                > heard of 603,404 or 660 loctite. I see it on their web page ( loctite)
                > so I know it's out there. Does anyone know where else I might find this
                > loctite other than the net. Tks Don

              • Walter Kenney
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Don;
                  Before I replace may rear main seal I called Loctite
                  and talked to a applications engineer. He could not
                  recommend a product that would satisfy all the needs
                  of rubber to alum in hot oil.
                  I purchased my seal from NAPA pt#29887 and was pleased
                  to find it was painted steel without that stupid
                  rubber coating. I took a prick pinch to the id of the
                  hsg and swelled it enough to make it a press fit, then
                  coated the ID with Permatex ultra blue RTV (from NAPA)
                  and pressed in the seal. That was in 2004. and it has
                  not leaked a drop since.

                  Walt
                  --- emch_sr <emch_sr@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, I started to replace the rear seal on my 154.
                  > When I bought the new
                  > seal at IH, they said if the new seal fits loose in
                  > the retainer plate
                  > I would have to buy the plate and seal together.
                  > Which was about
                  > $150.00. Anyways, in the back messages I read where
                  > some of you were
                  > using a sealant to kinda glue the loose seal in.
                  > What is the best
                  > sealant to use? Don

                • emch_sr
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
                    Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm sure Iwill get er done now. I
                    did find some 660 at a store Paul suggested but they were closed. My
                    son has some Bakerlok. Has anyone heard of that? Also, I might check
                    that seal out at Napa. tks Don