RE: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] 3160 Series A Mower Center Pulley Grease Fitting- busted

  • Jim Kennedy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
      Message
      I had heard a little heat may open it up; meaning a small propane torch for a few seconds applied to directly to the grease port.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
        Well you got sometimes a little grease fitting atop an angle
        fitting.The ball and spring present a one-way valve of sorts so you
        are unable to clear with a wire.Probably it was greased without
        wiping off the grass and dirt and that has jammed the small hole. So
        it must come off so you can replace it. There are semblance of the
        old threads in the spindle they just need persuasion.Clamp a vise-
        grip to it and before that a large washer over it. The idea is that
        you are going to wedge-up that fitting while turning it. Now if you
        think about it a thrust washer at the spindle,a wedge by whatever
        means,another washer and then vise grips on the fitting. Then unwind
        with this pressure and it will find its old thread and come out. From
        my experience these are some of the best decks but that center
        spindle is an aorta. There is a lot of pressure. It doesn't help that
        any gas leak from the filter or shutoff goes directly down on it.
        The spindle itself is a fairly straightforward piece of machining.No
        doubt many have been made. They should go the step where a 1/8" hole
        is drilled thru beyond top Timken and side hole drilled.The tension
        adj is something and there is a lock situation where it is the pulley
        locking providing the preload and then you lock the pulley to the
        key. When all done right it's good.

        --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Kennedy" <jimybud@...>
        wrote:

        > I had heard a little heat may open it up; meaning a small propane
        torch
        > for a few seconds applied to directly to the grease port.

        Grease