Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Lo boy 154 Fuse Assembly

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
      The fuse is a standard (for the 1960's) 3AG 20 amp fuse, which is about
      1-1/4" long and about 1/4" in diameter. And without the "cap", you will
      never complete the circuit. It might be a good idea, at this point, to
      just replace the entire fuse housing with a new one - 75 cents at All
      Electronics:
      <http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/FHPM-31/250/3AG_PANEL_MOUNT_FUSE_HOLDER_.html>

      Some soldering is required, but otherwise it will be a "no-brainer" to
      replace and will look like the original. All Electronics also sells the
      fuses 5 for 75 cents:
      <http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/FS-20/245100/20A_3AG_FUSE_.html>

      They have no minimum order, but they do have a minimum shipping charge.
      They also have hook up wire in all gauges and colors and other stuff
      useful in tractor repairs.

      Mike

      Jim Kennedy wrote:

      > long or short fuse? It is dificult to tell as I do not have the "cap".
      > If I had it I could figure out what size to use.

      Mike Sloane
      Allamuchy NJ
      <mikesloane@...>
      Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
      Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

      I believe I found the missing link between animal and civilized man.
      It is us. -Konrad Lorenz, ethologist, Nobel laureate (1903-1989)
    • Larry & Barb Dotson
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
        Jim/Mike
        I picked up a new cap from NAPA and it matches the original one.
        I think it was less than a buck.

        Larry Dotson
      • Jim Kennedy
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
          Message
          I had  a fuse holder replacement in "inventory" that worked.  I also bought one from radio shack for 1.99 plus tax.

          Separately,  after a few hours of work, I was able to get the headlights to work.  I could only locate one wire off the harness for the lights.  Should there be a second wire so that there would be one wire for high beam and one for low, or would this functionality be available with only one wire?

          Any feedback would be appreciated.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
            The original headlights in the 154 were just single filament "tractor"
            sealed beams units; there was no "high" or "low". If you are using '60s
            era automobile "quad" lights, I would suggest that you use the "low"
            beam part of the wiring, as the high beam may draw more power from the
            battery than the generator can keep up with. You really don't need all
            that much light for a tractor. The standard tractor lamps (4410?) are
            still available from agricultural supply stores and better auto parts
            stores.

            I would also strongly advise making sure you have a "live" ground wire
            running back to the frame near the battery ground - tractors are
            notorious for having poor grounds, and the Lo-Boy's is among the worst.

            Mike

            --
            Mike Sloane
            Allamuchy NJ
            <mikesloane@...>
            Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
            Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

            I believe I found the missing link between animal and civilized man.
            It is us. -Konrad Lorenz, ethologist, Nobel laureate (1903-1989)
          • Walter Kenney
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2007
              Jim

              There is only one hot wire to the lights. The low beam
              is created with a rheostat that is built into the
              switch.

              Walt
              --- Jim Kennedy <jimybud@...> wrote:

              > I had a fuse holder replacement in "inventory" that
              > worked. I also
              > bought one from radio shack for 1.99 plus tax.
              >
              > Separately, after a few hours of work, I was able
              > to get the headlights
              > to work. I could only locate one wire off the
              > harness for the lights.
              > Should there be a second wire so that there would be
              > one wire for high
              > beam and one for low, or would this functionality be
              > available with only
              > one wire?
              >
              > Any feedback would be appreciated.

            • Jim Kennedy