Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Re: Oil Filter Cross Reference Cub Lo Boy 154

  • NimbusNine
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
      The quality of the filter is determined by the micron size particle it can filter and the volume of fluid it can pass through the filter at a given viscosity and the overall construction. I think the way it works is that too much volume and the oil is forced through a bypass to ensure that the engine does not starve for oil.

      There are only a few filter manufacturers but you can order filters from them built to a "price point" just like computers or tvs. If you want a cheapo filter for Walmart, just say so and you'll get the "decontented" model. The opposite is true as well. Just like you can buy a high-end "server" computer or a low-end Walmart computer - they look kinda the same but they aren't.

      Motorcycle Consumer News did an exhaustive test of filters a couple years ago and a few brands showed up on top routinely. I don't recall the results off hand but they might have them on their website.

      Nimbusnine

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
        This is worth a look, too.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
              For 45 years I have changed my own oil in cars, trucks and tractors. I buy the cheapest on sale filters and oil I can find. I change oil and filter every 2000 miles in my highway vehicles. I did have one Fram filter crack around the base and lost a lot of oil. All of my vehicles were used when I bought them and several had over 200,000 and were still in good running condition when I traded them off. My daughter still drives my '89 Chevy pickup. From my experience, the real world is the same no matter what oil or filter I use.
              I have Farmall As, Bs, Cs, H, Ms, Cubs, 154, 184s etc. These tractors have been used and abused for 30-65 years and are still running. Many farmers bought cases of "farm store" filters rather than OEM. These tractors were built to run under load 12-16 hours/day. They're happy just to have clean oil and be driven around the yard once in awhile. If someone wants to use synthetic oils and super high quality filters that's fine but these tractors will run another 60 years with any filter and oil which meets OEM specifications.
              I worked where Pennzoil and Quaker State were sold. One customer would come in saying Pennzoil was no good and Quaker State was the best. By the end of the day another customer would come in to say Quaker State was no good and Pennzoil was the best.
              Yes, not all filters are the same. But if they state "Meet or Exceed OEM requirements, I have to take their word for it.

              Use whatever makes you feel good. Life's too short to loose any sleep over it.

          I don't own stock in NAPA and I suspect Mike doesn't either, but
          what I think we are both saying is that you won't have near as many
          problems finding the parts you need, whatever it might be, at a NAPA
          store as well as helpful personnel, where going to one of the other
          chains listed earlier, without the cross reference, you are usually
          SOL.

          I'm sure you are correct on the manufacturers and printing of brand
          names. Thanks for sharing the cross reference for those that don't
          have a NAPA store handy.

          --- In ihcubloboyseries@ yahoogroups. com, "James" <jimybud@... > wrote:

          > Do you own stock in NAPA, I would guess all of the filters from
          NAPA
          > Dealers, and Autozone are manufactured by the same entity, merely
          > printing different brand names on the item.
          >
          > I believe this cross reference as followss:
          > FRAM C235
          > Fleetguard LF672
          >

          > --- In ihcubloboyseries@ yahoogroups. com, Mike Sloane
          > <mikesloane@ > wrote:
          > >
          > > I would not buy any filter from Autozone or Advanced Auto. Go to
          > NAPA
          > > affiliated auto parts dealer, and he will have the filter in
          stock.

          > > Mike
          > >
          > > James wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Could someone provide a cross reference to the part number
          > 376373R1?
          > > > I am trying to find a part number for a common brand such as
          > Fram or
          > > > STP so that I can buy the filter from Autozone or Advanced
          auto.

          > > > When I called each of these places they could not cross this
          > number.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Mike Sloane
          > > Allamuchy NJ
          > > <mikesloane@ >
          > > Website: <www.geocities. com/mikesloane>
          > > Images: <www.fotki.com/ mikesloane>
          > >
          > > Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who
          > > want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm but the harm
          > > does not interest them. -T.S. Eliot, poet (1888-1965)

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.