Re: 154 clutch repair

  • burgertime631
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      Thanks for the advice im going to try a machine shop.--- In
      ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "yllanc" <suelter@...> wrote:

      > --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, burgertime631 <no_reply@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I removed the cover this morning to inspect clutch noise. The
      clutch
      > > is not engaging properly. First off the clutch shaft at the
      engine
      > > side has an improper bolt and nut. It has caused a bit of play
      and
      > the
      > > holes have ovaled making it alittle sloppy. I dont think that
      would
      > > cause my problem because it just connects shaft to engine. The
      other
      > > end of the shaft is splined and i think either the splines on
      the
      > > shaft or inside the clutch are worn beyond use. How do i know if
      its
      > > the shaft or the clutch splines? BTW i have seen some pretty
      cheap
      > 154
      > > clutches on Ebay. But have read bad stories using cheaper parts.
      Any
      > > advice greatly appreciated.
      > > Thanks,Paul N.Y.
      > >
      > Hi Paul, It sounds like you have the same problem that i
      > experienced with my 154. When I removed the drive and clutch both
      the
      > splines on the shaft and clutch were worn allowing the clutch to
      > rattle around and make the noise. I first just replaced the
      clutch
      > without doing anything to the shaft splines. This didn't cure the
      > problem, it would then break the center out of the clutch disc. I
      > then took the shaft to a machine shop and had it lengthened about
      5/8
      > in. and turned a new pilot end on it, this allowed the clutch disc
      > slide on the shaft further and onto unworn splines. So far it has
      > been working just fine. Probably the best cure is to replace the
      > shaft with a new one, however that is a little pricy. The machine
      > shop only charged me $25 to lengthen the shaft and turn the new
      pilot
      > end back to the original length...hope this helps...Harold

    • jimybud
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        I would suggest removing the clutch, pressure plate and shaft and
        analyze them on the "bench". The removal is approximately a one hour
        job.

        I would think you would then be able to ascertain which part is faulty.

        Separtly, does anyone have a solution of how to "repair" the hole of
        the driveshaft near the engine when it has worn. I was thinking maybe
        filling it in with jb weld and then drilling back through the "weld".
        At this point, i used some silicone calk to merely fill the gap.
      • burgertime631
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
          I was thinking the very same thing.I was planning to rotate shaft and
          drill a new hole.Although any play is gone after a couple of
          revoloutions. Ill be glued to this site all week.This is going to be
          my snow removal machine.