Re: 3260 Mower Deck Removal

  • edjones72
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
      To remove my 3160A deck from my 184, I designed two rolling casters
      made from approx. 24" pieces of 2x6 lumber. I bought eight fairly
      low profile all metal caster wheels from lowe's or Home Depot and
      attached them to the wood with lag bolts. With the deck up these fit
      under each side. Then the deck rolls out sideways very easily when
      not attached. Once out, I move the dech around outside the garage on
      a hand truck or dolly fairly easily. Of course the casters like this
      only work well on a flat concrete floor. It was not expensive or
      hard to do and saved the old aging back muscles. I may have jacked
      the front of the tractor up for more clearence. I don't remember
      exactly. I do remember it not being a hassle at all. Hope this
      helps.

      --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...>

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
        NimbusNine wrote:

        > I'd gather that you like the Farmall Cubs better than the 184...is there
        > a reason why?
        It is not a matter of what I like but more what is available: there are
        probably 25 Farmall Cubs around here for sale for every 154/185/184
        around offered, and my first "real" tractor was a Cub that came from a
        nearby estate sale (and the rest just "followed me home" over the
        years). I didn't even think about the later IH LoBoy tractors until I
        joined this group, thinking it was all about the old Cub Lo-Boy
        tractors. That is when I realized what a great machine a 184 would be
        for my needs. In fact, the one I finally bought came from a group member
        who was located about 40 miles from here. Now I use the 184 for most of
        my mowing. I still use some of the other machines when the situation
        calls for it - trimming along my dirt lane and around ponds, cutting
        down overgrown areas, etc. At the moment, I have two Farmall Cubs with
        60" rotary mowers, but they no longer get used much at all, now that I
        have the 184 with double the power and much easier steering, etc. As I
        have told others, the 184 is everything that the Cub should have been,
        and it is too bad that IH waited 30 years to make the improvements. See
        <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_cubs/> for images of the
        Cubs and <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_184/> for the
        184.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
          Thanks, Mike. Just what I needed to know.

          Craig

          <mikesloane@verizon. net>
          Website: <www.geocities. com/mikesloane>
          Images: <www.fotki.com/ mikesloane>

          At times it may be necessary to temporarily accept a lesser evil,
          but one must never label a necessary evil as good.
          -Margaret Mead, anthropologist (1901-1978)

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
            The way I remove my deck is to jack up one front wheel and remove it at
            the spindle (one bolt). Then I lower the deck onto a furniture dolly
            (18 x 24in with four swivel casters, $15 at the discount store). It
            rolls out easy as you please and is just as easy to remount, because
            the mower sits level on the dolly. Brian

            --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, naturewhistle <no_reply@...>
            wrote:

            > All
            >
            > Can anyone please tell me if it safe to drive over these decks when
            > removing them? Seems like a pretty good wrestling match otherwise.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Same

          • bigbill154cub
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2006
              I just removed my 3260 deck to get ready for snowplowing. I slid it
              out the side which wasn't that bad right now. I took off the belt
              and tied up the rear support arm. I guess a small rope could be
              used to drag it out too. I was thinking of installing 4 small
              casters that would work for removing it too. We could hitch pin on 4
              small casters just for removing it too it can be fabricated without
              too much work too. The only other thing is to have a winter and
              summer 154 one with a deck and the other with a snowplow so no
              machine would have to be changed over.

              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > All
              >
              > Can anyone please tell me if it safe to drive over these decks
              when
              > removing them? Seems like a pretty good wrestling match otherwise.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Same

            • Dave Carter
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2006
                I just slid my deck out from the side, I've got fairly slick concrete
                in my garage with out much of a problem.I just remove the right front
                caster wheel and zing she pulls out on left side. I really don't
                believe you want to go driving over it, as these decks aren't built
                that heavy! I've repaired a few of them and they will bend easier
                than you think.

                --- In ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com, "bigbill154cub"