Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] cub 154 bush hog

  • dianne griffin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2006

      HI Mike: I have one on a 154, belly mount mower deck, it has a center blade with a failing blade attached to both ends. I mow three acres for a guy once a month, and was wondering if this mower would do the job. I know the 154 has only 14 HP and thought the smaller mower would be better suited. Will I have to raise the deck mow it once, then lower the deck and mow it again?? My mower sounds like yours.  Center mounted 42" swinging blades... Thank you

      From: Mike Sloane <mikesloane@...>
      To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] cub 154 bush hog
      Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:44:34 -0500

      Sure it can, but you are going to have a hard time finding one. I have a
      Woods C42 (center mounted 42" swinging blades) on one of my Farmall Cubs
      <http://public. fotki.com/ mikesloane/ farmall_cubs/ ns-1.html> and it will
      chop its way through anything I can drive through. If there is a version
      of that mower with mounting for the 154, that would do the job very
      nicely. There may also be a version designed for rear mounting, but I
      have never seen one.

      Mike

      --
      Mike Sloane
      Allamuchy NJ

      At times it may be necessary to temporarily accept a lesser evil,
      but one must never label a necessary evil as good.
      -Margaret Mead, anthropologist (1901-1978)

      Share your latest news with your friends with the Windows Live Spaces friends module.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2006
        Remember that a brush cutter is not a lawn mower. What I mean is that a
        brush cutter works by smashing through the woody material found in old
        fields and similar areas. The "knives" are usually heavier and ground at
        a steeper angle than finish mower blades. A rotary mower works by
        slicing soft material (grass) at high speed using a sharp edge. You need
        to match the tool to the job. If what you are doing is clearing brush
        with a cutter, I would go in the first time with the cutter deck up
        higher than you would for lawn mowing, so you don't clog things up with
        the "trash" you have cut. But you should also check the belt tension:
        depending on how the idler pulleys are set up, the belts will be tighter
        when the deck is raised, and this could cause undo stress on the belts
        and bearings if you cut with the deck up. Once you have cut down the
        taller stuff, you can go back later or the next time with the deck all
        the way down.

        Mike