8575Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Series] Re: Mowing Speed

    Apr 2, 2006
      If all you are after is something to do with your surplus time, energy,
      and money, I wish you well.

      As far as accomplishing something useful, I have to wonder what the
      point might be. It is my observation that my 184 does a fine job of
      mowing grass in second gear. I suppose it could go a little faster, but
      I wonder if the quality of the cut would suffer. And just suppose I
      could push my 20 hp tractor to go maybe 10% faster (that is about the
      most I could hope for without having the blades miss a lot of grass).
      Right now it takes me about 3 hours to mow the several acres of grass
      around my place and some of my neighbors. If I could increase the speed
      by 10%, that would shave 18 minutes off my time, not counting having to
      slow down in areas that are a little cluttered with bushes and trees. 18
      minutes. How much time and money would I be willing to invest to butcher
      the tractor and save 18 minutes a week? And what would I do with that 18
      minutes saved?

      I guess if I really was hurting for time in my mowing activities, I
      would rather invest the money in a modern commercial "zero turn" mower
      with hydrostatic drive and do the job properly. Or I would replace my
      old worn out turf tread tires with a set of brand new "industrial" tread
      tires - that would increase my ground speed by 10% with almost no time
      and effort.

      Again, I am not criticizing your intentions, just stating my personal
      view on the subject.

      Mike

      --
      Mike Sloane
      Allamuchy NJ

      "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible,
      but manĀ“s inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary."
      Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971), US theologian.