      From: Kent Morris <kmokgm@...>
      To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:02 AM
      Subject: Re: [IH CUB LoBoy Numbered Series] Re: I need some advice on a 154 power loss, I searched some earlier post but Im lost

      Travis,

      Great to hear you are up and running again. I read back through the emails and didn't find what fixed your problem. What did you find to be the problem? I'm always willing to learn something new from others.

      Kent

      On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 5:37 AM, travis bowles <tgb7142@...> wrote:

      I mowed with my Cub Lo Boy for almost 3 hours yesterday. It ran great! Thanks to everyone for sharing your mechanical advice. Everyone's advice really helped me understand my tractor better.

      My Dad bought this cub when I was a small boy, it's almost 39 years old and I am 41 years old so I have been working this tractor most of my life. It's great to have it running good again.

      Thanks again, Travis

      From: Kent Morris <kmokgm@...>

      To: ihcubloboyseries@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, July 24, 2011, 7:20 PM

      Travis,

      Ideally, you should be timed TDC at idle and 16* advanced at full throttle. For PTO equipment such as the mower, you always run full throttle. Therefore, since when you have a load you normally run at full throttle, the 16* advance at full throttle is the most relevant setting.

      I would agree with your concern about the fluctuating timing mark. 1/2" to 3/4" seems a bit much. If the problem is some wear in the shaft or sticky points, installing a Pertronix electronic ignition may correct the problem. It operates with a magnetic pickup which could probably tolerate some shaft wear.

      Rotate the distributor shaft until the points are open, then wiggle the shaft and see how much it affects the point opening. There will always be some wiggle, but I would guess if the point gap doubles, I would call it worn.

      Many of us are believers of the Pertrronix Ignition. If you shop around, you can get them for about $80.

      On the other hand, if you have old wires and cap that need to be replaced anyway, you may want to follow the previous suggestions and replace them.

      You don't know what the problem is until it's fixed.

      Kent

      On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM, travis bowles <tgb7142@...> wrote:

      Kent, I have it timed to the second mark TDC in the clockwise rotation. I thought that I read to time it at half throttle so that is what I did. I will reset the timing at full throttle and see if it's better.

      The mark is very steady at mid throttle but at full throttle I would say that it is moving a full 1/2'' to 3/4'' of an inch around the timing indicator.

      When I talk about the mower bogging down the tractor I mean when I engage it in the shop, not during grass cutting. Thanks for your help, I appreciate all you guys input.

      Travis