Fishermen Knots

  • Tim Weil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2004
      Mar-IGKTers -

      This weekend I found myself in an impromptu situation
      of teaching Fishing Merit Badge knotcraft to about
      10 scouts. With my trusty Des Pawson book in hand
      I was able to instruct in the making of

      Clinch Knot (knew this already)
      Improved Clinch Knot
      Palomar
      Surgeons Loop

      without much effort.
      When it came to these -

      Turle
      Snelling the Hook

      I had to take a pass (not enough time to try them).
      Later conversations with a Fly-fishing Dad brought
      up some other curious variations -

      Uni-Knot
      Perfrect Loop
      Barrel Knot

      So my question(s) are -

      1. Where to go for Resources (web sites, etc.)?
      2. Tricks of the trade (favorite fishing knots)
      3. Tying the square knot between 2 loops (like
      attaching leader lines)

      and of course....
      How to catch the big fish?

      Cheers