Two Good Friday walks in Jerusalem

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2013

      Western Christian Easter fell the last weekend of March.

      A small group met at Garden Tomb, the Protestant site for burial of Jesus. We discussed the history of this unusual and beautiful site, and stayed for a while to hear the beginning of the Good Friday worship service. We enjoyed several hymns and songs of praise and some Biblical readings. It was a lovely atmosphere... and we were able to find a good location...

      We decided to skip the St. George Cathedral (Anglican), and instead went to the St. George Church of the Orthodox Greek Patriarch to hear elements of that worship service - a unique experience, since this church is the native church of our country, with its service in Arabic, accompanied by original Arabic music

      We moved on to Maronite Church, home of another important and ancient national church of our region, and we enjoyed hearing this music as well. We discussed some of the history of the followers of St. Maron the Hermit, in Lebanon.

      As time was winding down, we decided to skip the Holy Sepulcher itself, and completed our walk by a visit to St. Saviour Church in the Franciscan Compound, the actual parish church of Old City Roman Catholics. We were there for parts of the Arabic worship service, and we visited the Franciscan Book Shop - an important center for purchase of materials related to Roman Catholic issues in the Holy Land.

      In an earlier part of our walk, we met one of our very active Moslem members, and we concluded our day by joining him for conversation and a coffee.

      Eastern Churches celebrated East much later - the first weekend of May. Friday May 3rd was Good Friday.

      However, the day before, during preparations with a trial walk, it was made clear how difficult walking through the Old City Via Dolorosa and Holy Sepulcher area could really be, due to abnormally large groups of many pilgrims from many areas. And the day was extremely hot as well.

      So we decided that morning to abort this walk, but we will keep the route in mind for the next opportunity.

      Led and reported: Nathanael Dror

      The Interfaith Encounter Association

      P.O.Box  3814, Jerusalem 91037, Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

        Ms. Yael Gidanyan (Chair)

        Mr. Morad Muna

        Mr. Moshe Jacobs

        Mr. Imad Abu Hassan

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Executive Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      Mr. Salah Alladin, Assistant Director

      NEW: Donate securely on-line (tax deductible in the US) at: http://interfaithencounter.wordpress.com/donate/

      Contributions made from the U.S., Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

      Please note that the reports we send out do not necessarily represent the views of the Interfaith Encounter Association or even of the people who wrote them. The reports represent the views of the people who attended an encounter and their primary purpose is to give you a glimpse of what happened in the encounter.

      Groups listed from north to south:

      ·        Ma'alot

      ·        Acre

      ·        Karmiel-Majd el-Krum

      ·        Restaurant

      ·        Sakhnin College

      ·        M'ghar – Sawa Rabina

      ·        M'ghar – Shibolot

      ·        M'ghar – Bridging

      ·        M'ghar – Lana

      ·        M'ghar – Green Light

      ·        Galilee Women's Interfaith Encounter (WIE)

      ·        Jordan Valley College (YIE)

      ·        Haifa WIE

      ·        Haifa University Youth Interfaith Encounter (YIE)

      ·        Carmel City

      ·        Wadi Ara WIE

      ·        Living Together in Wadi Ara

      ·        Netania-Qalansawa

      ·        Non-Violent Communication

      ·        Tel Aviv University YIE

      ·        Petach Tikva – Kfar Kasem

      ·        Tel Aviv-Jaffa

      ·        A/Nahnu – Mt. Scopus YIE

      ·        Language Exchange I

      ·        Language Exchange II

      ·        East of Jerusalem

      ·        Abu Dis And Maaleh Adumim

      ·        Prayer focused

      ·        IEA Reut-Sadaqa

      ·        Study and Dialogue

      ·        Jerusalem WIE

      ·        Jerusalem YIE

      ·        Jewish-Christian study of the Gospel of Mathew

      ·        Ein Karem – Health Equality for all People in Israel

      ·        Jerusalem Arabic Speaking group

      ·        Bibliodrama

      ·        The Future – Mothers and Daughters

      ·        Interfaith Visits

      ·        Hebrew U.-Bethlehem U. YIE

      ·        Teens YIE

      ·        Women's Empowerment

      ·        East of Jerusalem

      ·        Gush Etzion

      ·        Siach Yeshiva – Hebron Students YIE

      ·        Circle of Light and Hope

      ·        Midwives

      ·        Jerusalem-Hebron Religious Leaders

      ·        Jerusalem-Hebron YIE

      ·        Jerusalem-Yata YIE

      ·        South of Hebron YIE

      ·        Eilat