Report on Women's Interfaith Encounter Monday Nov 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2002
      Dear Friends,

      After a beautiful Muslim prayer in Arabic by Nadia, twenty -two women -- 8
      Christians, 8 Jews, and 6 Muslims spent a couple hours learning about the
      Wedding Customs of the three religions. Everyone complained there was not
      enough time to go over all the rituals and details from each religion --
      the different practices were fascinating and we had lots of questions.

      Tina shared about the customs of Lutheran Protestant Sweden where there is
      a wide range of customs from the non-religious to the religious. Irene
      brought three ketubot or wedding contracts to explain the essense of the
      Jewish wedding ceremony. Safa gave examples of questions about wedding
      customs that were asked of the prophet Mohammed. All three presentations
      were very full of information that prompted lots of interfaith and
      intrafaith discussion.

      We broke into pairs to interview each other about how these customs
      directly affect each of us in our own lives. Fachira said she enjoyed this
      process because "When we share from our own experience, we share from the
      heart".

      In the evaluation sheets EVERYONE said they learned something new about
      another religion. Over one half the women said they changed their opinion
      about the teachings or people of other religions. Women's comments were
      "interesting and informative", "successful", "excellent", "great topic for
      learning about each other", "enjoyable", "gave me a window into another
      world".

      Rose brought a delicious sweet "hariseh" which everyone enjoyed.

      We decided our following meeting will be Monday Dec 2 which will be a
      holiday celebration of Hanukah, Ramadan, and Christmas. Tuesday November
      19, there will be a special meeting for some members to share the wisdom
      from recent interfaith and inter-cultural trainings abroad in Rio, Chicago,
      and Switzerland.

      Following the success of our movie night last week, we decided to have a
      video night at Wendy's home on Thursday, November 14th.

      We should be very proud of all that we have achieved in this past year --
      when so many other dialogue and peace-building groups are having trouble
      meeting or have completely disbanded, it's always encouraging and
      inspirational that we are able to continue and thrive in such an enjoyable
      way in the midst of our difficult situation. We have much to celebrate
      together. To all our Muslim friends -- Ramadan Karim.

      Love,
      Elana Rozenman
      Coordinator
      Women's Interfaith Encounter
      Interfaith Encounter Association

      P.O.Box 3814, Jerusalem 91037, Israel
      Phone: +972-2-6510520
      Fax: +972-2-6510557
      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

      Yehuda Stolov, Director
      E-mail: msyuda@...

      PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERFAITH ENCOUNTER ASSOCIATION. SUPPORT ONE OR
      MORE OF OUR PROGRAMS AND JOIN US AS A MEMBER IN WORKING FOR INTERFAITH
      UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE.

      Contributions made from the U.S., Switzerland and the U.K. are tax
      deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank
      message to:
      * In Israel (gets also invitations):
      iea-announcements-subscribe@egroups.com
      * Abroad (gets reports only): iea-reports-subscribe@egroups.com