Moses - 26th Israeli-Palestinian retreat of interfaith encounter, August 13-14

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2009
      IEA's 26th Israeli-Palestinian retreat of interfaith encounter opened on Thursday, August 13th 2009, in the Everest Hotel in t

      Dear friends,

      Please find below the story of IEA's 26th Israeli-Palestinian retreat of interfaith encounter.

      I would like to take this opportunity and wish our Jewish friends Happy Sukkot!!

      IEA's 26th Israeli-Palestinian retreat of interfaith encounter opened on Thursday, August 13th 2009 , in the Everest Hotel in the outskirts of Beit Jalla.

      After introducing the organizations and the guidelines and before starting the actual dialogue, we were happy to first thank Canada 's Networking for Peace program for sponsoring this series of retreats and second participate in a long term research conducted by Dr. Ben Mollov, of Bar Ilan University , about the special impact of interfaith encounters.

      We divided into small groups through a fun exercise in which participants organized in a circle, in the order of their birthdays. In the small groups people started to get to know each other in a deeper, more personal way. They shared details about themselves and then moved to share personal reflections about ways in which Moses was significant for them.

      After dinner we had a social evening with music and dances. After the music ended, participants gathered spontaneously in small groups and talked late into the night.

      In the morning we started with sharing a bit from our group conversations of last evening. This gave rise to a conversation about suffering, which continued until the arrival of Rabbi Gideon Sylvester, who presented the Jewish story of Moses.

      After noting how wonderful it is to see people of different faiths coming together to build real peace he said that the most exciting element in Moses are his life. He was born in times where Jews were persecuted by the Egyptians but was adopted by the daughter of Pharaoh and grew up as an Egyptian prince. Still when he grew up he went to see his brothers and started his career as defender of justice. First he killed the Egyptian beating the Jew, and then he tried to reconcile the two quarreling Jews. When they said "will you kill me like you killed the Egyptian" he fled to the desert and there again defended the daughters of Jethro from the shepherds. Then when he went long out of his way to take care of the little lost sheep, God said this proves he should lead the Jews, which Moses tried to avoid, saying he is a stutter, not a leader etc.              Finally he did go back to Pharaoh and demanded the release of the Israelites but Pharaoh just made their burden heavier and he had to persuade the people that even though things now became worse, they will still get better. This became his constant challenge during the years in the desert: whenever something went wrong they would lose hope and he had to convince them to have patience for the long run.                       Moses' biggest moment was receiving the Torah from God. Despite his various roles – he is called "our rabbi", the one who teaches us the Torah.

      His biggest tragedy was not being allowed to enter the Holy Land .

      As usual, after each of the presentations participants continued their vivid conversation in the small groups.

      After lunch we gathered again for the Muslim presentation, delivered by Dr. Taleb Al-Harithi. Moses is one of the five special prophets, who had special power and connection with God: Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Mohammad. When Moses is mentioned it is never just by his name, always he is referred to as "our master Moses" and we add God bless him. There is no Sura with his name but Moses is mentioned in many many Suras of the Quran. In terms of content – 90% of the details in the Quran are identical to the ones mentioned in the Jewish presentation.

      He is called Kalim Ulla – the one who God spoke to him.

      The Interfaith Encounter Association

      P.O.Box  3814 , Jerusalem 91037 , Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

        Ms. Evelyne Savir (Chair)

        Dr. Shlomo Alon

        Ms. Nadia Tutunji-Nuseibeh

        Ms. Saheer Siam

        Mr. Rizk Azam

        Ms. Randa Zreik-Sabag

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Executive Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      Mr. Salah Alladin, Assistant Director

      NEW: Donate securely on-line (tax deductible in the US ) at: http://www.interfaith-encounter.org/donations.htm

      Contributions made from the U.S. , Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

      Please note that the reports we send out do not necessarily represent the views of the Interfaith Encounter Association or even of the people who wrote them. The reports represent the views of the people who attended an encounter and their primary purpose is to give you a glimpse of what happened in the encounter.