Tel Aviv University Youth Interfaith Encounter on January 5th

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2009
      The second encounter of the renewed Tel Aviv University Youth Interfaith Encounter group was held on January 5th

      The second encounter of the renewed Tel Aviv University Youth Interfaith Encounter group was held on January 5th. Despite the war in Gaza , and even because of it, we made special efforts to continue maintaining and developing IEA activities – both as rays of hope for a better future and as steps towards its realization.

      The encounter focused on our personal relations with God. As inspiration we used what Rabbi Moshe Haim Luzzatto wrote in the beginning of his Article of the Principles" and parallel Quranic verses.

      Participants shared their feelings and thoughts about the theme and here are a few examples:

      • It is very strange for me to sit here in the university, after a full day of studies, and discuss God…
      • I was raised to believe there is no God and discovered through Spinoza the unity of God and the universe.
      • God is the basis for morality.
      • According to the religious perception – we were all created in the image of God, therefore we are all equal.
      • In Islam: the only thing that can give a person an advantage over others is the level of their faith. The meaning of this advantage is that this person is worthy of leading (any leading – from leading one prayers to the leading of the community).

      We were then drifting to other themes such as the concepts of religion and of the chosen people.

      The next encounter will take place on Monday January 19th.

      The Interfaith Encounter Association

      P.O.Box  3814 , Jerusalem 91037 , Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

      Board:

        Mr. Adnan Trabsha (Chair)

        Ms. Evelyne Savir

        Dr. Shlomo Alon

        Ms. Nadia Tutunji-Nuseibeh

        Ms. Saheer Siam

        Mr. Rizk Azam

        Sr. Karmela Farrugia, Observer

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Executive Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      Mr. Salah Alladin, Assistant Director

      PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERFAITH ENCOUNTER ASSOCIATION. SUPPORT ONE OR MORE OF OUR PROGRAMS AND JOIN US AS A MEMBER IN WORKING FOR INTERFAITH UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE.

      NEW: Donate securely on-line (tax deductible in the US ) at: http://www.interfaith-encounter.org/donations.htm

      Contributions made from the U.S. , Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

              iea-announcements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Please note that the reports we send out do not necessarily represent the views of the organization or even of the people who wrote them. The reports represent the views of the people who attended an encounter and their primary purpose is to give you a glimpse of what happened in the encounter.