Staff-Board Training in the Improvement Teams Technique - Session II, March 24th

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2008
      ביום שני, 21

      On Monday, March 24th 2008 , the board and staff of the Interfaith Encounter Association met for the second session of training in the "Improvement Teams" technique and a General Assembly.

      In a previous gathering we invited Mr. Yehuda Arad - Vice President of "Teva Pharmaceutical Industries" and Chair of the Israeli Association for Improvement Teams. Mr. Arad presented the approach he developed for Improvement Teams and its impressive results in various contexts. Following the presentation, we asked Mr. Arad to lead with us an actual training where we will work as an improvement team, and he gladly agreed. During the first training session Mr. Arad guided us through a brain-storming session in which we analyzed the elements needed for the improvement and its components and showed us how to organize them into groups of elements who are connected to method, communication, human/environmental elements etc. Finally we mapped all the elements into a "Fishbone Chart".

      During the current session we went deeper into the different components. We talked about mapping information about potential encounter locations, about identifying suitable people to lead groups ("engines"), about initiating meetings to explain our work and recruit people and about the need to write down the methodology so that it will be easier for new coordinators to start leading activity.

      Then we focused on attributes of the specific version of each of the encounter groups of the methodology, and how to maximize their impact. We took two groups as examples:

      1. The Study and Dialogue group in Jerusalem works to build the relations through intensive deep study of religion.
        This approach is very suitable for the religious population and builds tolerance and respect in the inter-communal relations. This could be told as a success story that will encourage others to form similar groups.
      2. The Reut-Sadaqa group focuses on building of friendship among the group's members, with joint and egalitarian work of its coordinators.
        When communicating this group to new people we should stress the experience of togetherness and the fact that the main part of both the experience and the building of the group is the process.

      We agreed to dedicate future sessions to the definition of the core values that characterize the Interfaith Encounter Association as a whole and for better defining procedures of the work method.

      Reported: Yehuda Stolov

      The Interfaith Encounter Association

      P.O.Box  3814 , Jerusalem 91037 , Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

      Board:

        Sr. Karmela Farrugia, Chair

        Rabbi Dr. Dov Maimon, Vice-Chair

        Ms. Rafiqa Othman, Vice-Chair

        Mr. Adnan Trabsha, Vice-Chair

        Ms. Saheer Siam

        Mr. Dotan Arad

        Ms. Nada Abu Zaidan

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERFAITH ENCOUNTER ASSOCIATION. SUPPORT ONE OR MORE OF OUR PROGRAMS AND JOIN US AS A MEMBER IN WORKING FOR INTERFAITH UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE.

      NEW: Donate securely on-line (tax deductible in the US ) at: http://www.interfaith-encounter.org/donations.htm

      Contributions made from the U.S. , Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

              iea-announcements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Please note that the reports we send out do not necessarily represent the views of the organization or even of the people who wrote them. The reports represent the views of the people who attended an encounter and their primary purpose is to give you a glimpse of what happened in the encounter.

      Atmosphere was very good and productive and it seems that the process have genuine potential to help improve the work of IEA.