Yuba-Sutter Interfaith Encounter resumes activity - February 22nd, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2006
      Report to IEA

      Following a series of three successful public programs which we staged in 2003, the Yuba-Sutter Interfaith Encounter Association, named for two neighboring counties in which we live and work, here in the Sacramento Valley (about 45 miles north of the capital of the state of California), slipped into dormancy, having exhausted our collective energy and having failed to attract the many new faces we hoped to see at our third program, held on our local college campus.  Though the organizers kept in occasional contact, we had no plans for any formal meetings or public programs.

      The visit of Dr. Yehuda Stolov and his colleague Najeba Sirhan to our area on the first two days of February, 2006, sparked the revival of local activity.  On the evening of February 1, 2006, Dr. Stolov and Ms. Sirhan spoke from their hearts and showed the very inspiring and enjoyable video about the development of the Bet-Hakerem group in Israel at our local synagogue.  Members of  our three faith communities—Muslims, Christians and Jews—including two leaders and the majority of our local interfaith organizers were among the participants.  Energetic discussion followed the video presentation and we local organizers were inspired to renew local activity.

      On February 22, a half dozen organizers met informally over dinner and resolved to begin a series of monthly dinner meetings which would include some focused interfaith discussion.  We agreed to hold our first such meeting on March 22, 2006, and to each bring at least one other person as well as a piece of inspirational writing to share.  Additionally, we agreed to stage two or three larger public programs annually.

      Thank you, Yehuda and Najeba, for catalyzing the revival of our interfaith activity.  We will be making reports following each meeting.

      Sincerely,

      Robert Wachman and Abdul Kabir Krambo, Co-founders,

      Yuba-Sutter Interfaith Encounter Association

      P.O.Box  3814, Jerusalem 91037, Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

      Board:

        Mr. Shlomo Alon, Chair

        Sr. Karmela Farrugia, Vice-Chair

        Sheikh Muhammad Kiwan, Vice-Chair

        Sheikh Ali Birani

        Rabbi Dov Maimon

        Deacon Eng. Jirias Mansour

        Ms. Rafiqa Othman

        Sheikh Tawfiq Salama

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERFAITH ENCOUNTER ASSOCIATION. SUPPORT ONE OR MORE OF OUR PROGRAMS AND JOIN US AS A MEMBER IN WORKING FOR INTERFAITH UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE.

      NEW: Donate on-line at: http://www.interfaith-encounter.org/donations.htm

      Contributions made from the U.S., Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

              iea-announcements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      This mail was sent from interfaith-encounter.org