Two encounters of Tel Aviv youth Interfaith Encounter - on March 16th and 30th

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      The first encounter of the new semester was dedicated to marriage

      March 16th: Marriage

      The first encounter of the new semester was dedicated to marriage.

      In Islam – marriage are considered half of the religion: all commandments are half of the religion and marriage is the second half.

      In Judaism too: a whole human being is only a make and female together while each of them alone is only half a person. Also: when a person gets married all his sins are forgiven and that is the reason for the custom to say the Yom Kippur confession before marriage.

      We heard about the marriage process in the Muslim society in the north. A relative of the potential groom first introduces the idea to the family of the bride who, if convinced, invited him for coffee. If they are satisfied with him – a meeting is called with his immediate family who asks officially for the marriage and then the conditions are discussed and agreed. The next stage is a big meeting with all elders of both families, the ceremonial request and the official engagement. Then comes the marriage contract with the Sheikh – which includes the payments for the bride's family before marriage and the payment to the woman in the case of divorce – after which they are religiously married. The final stage is the big marriage celebration after which the couple moves to leave together.

      March 30th

      Most of the regular participants could not come to this encounter so instead of talking about divorce, as we planned, we had an intimate conversation about our personal paths that led us to be involved in interfaith encounter in general and in this group in particular.

      This conversation took us to touch on other issues, such as the belief in God and its nature in the three religions and the different ways in which each religion sees the other religions – in different texts, in different times in history and in different stages of our own personal evolvement.

      ----------------

      The next encounter will take place on May 4th when we will host two speakers from a religious group in Turkey who will speak about the attitude of Islam towards Judaism.

      The Interfaith Encounter Association

      P.O.Box  3814 , Jerusalem 91037 , Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

      Board:

        Mr. Adnan Trabsha (Chair)

        Ms. Evelyne Savir

        Dr. Shlomo Alon

        Ms. Nadia Tutunji-Nuseibeh

        Ms. Saheer Siam

        Mr. Rizk Azam

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Executive Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      Mr. Salah Alladin, Assistant Director

      PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERFAITH ENCOUNTER ASSOCIATION. SUPPORT ONE OR MORE OF OUR PROGRAMS AND JOIN US AS A MEMBER IN WORKING FOR INTERFAITH UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE.

      NEW: Donate securely on-line (tax deductible in the US ) at: http://www.interfaith-encounter.org/donations.htm

      Contributions made from the U.S. , Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

              iea-announcements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Please note that the reports we send out do not necessarily represent the views of the organization or even of the people who wrote them. The reports represent the views of the people who attended an encounter and their primary purpose is to give you a glimpse of what happened in the encounter.